Thursday, September 30, 2021

Destination Unknown

During the week Hubby Tony and I set our own schedules, but we try to keep one day free for an activity together. This week that was today. We decided to try and complete yet another chapter in our scavenger hunt book, this time taking on the city of St. Charles.

It was nice and cool when we arrived a little after 9:30. As the morning wore on it got steamy, and we tried to stay on the shade whenever possible. In the end we figured out 16 of the 20 locations. Most of them were along the Missouri riverfront or in the historic Main Street area. 

Before we started we had some logical guesses and mapped out a tentative route, but the hunt still required walking up and down the streets several times. During the walk I saw a lot of people wearing a lanyard that indicated they were part of some organized group. At one point Tony and I stopped and chatted with two men who were sitting on a bench and learned that they were on a mystery tour. 

A couple of days earlier they had gotten on a bus in Wisconsin with no clue about the destinations or attractions they would be seeing. They had spent time in St. Louis visiting multiple tourist attractions, and St. Charles was their last one before they started back home.

I admired their sense of adventure. I don't know if I could do a trip like that. Could you?

16 comments:

  1. The mystery bus tour you describe could be fun but it isn't one I would try. It sounds like you and Tony enjoyed your scavenger hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think so. Who knows where you would wind up saying "oh yuck, I hate this stuff". Or even, "I really like this, let's stay longer, nope."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if it was just me I would have choose the same way. It is nice to visit without planning at all. It can be more adventurous and full of fun because there is nothing you know already like a mystery movie.
    Blessings to you and loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love bus trips. We've had bus trips with our tractor club folks in Kansas, Iowa, and Illinois. Most of the club members are farmers and don't want to go on a longer trip, but we've seen lots of interesting things in all the locations we've visited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it's fun to travel with a like-minded group.

      Delete
  5. I bet they were an organization, a church group, perhaps. You didn't mention the average age, but how I remember my mother planning for the next church bus tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The people all appeared to be well past retirement age. It would be interesting to know if they had an affiliation outside the tour.

      Delete
  6. I would love a scavenger hunt book like yours. It sounds great fun.
    When I was little the local coach company used to run mystery tours. They'd only last a day but were very popular.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every day is an adventure for you. Great fun.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My problem is that I don't like anyone to plan a trip for me. Planning is half of my fun... so many possibilities! However, I have 5 times 'kidnapped' Himself. He has no idea of where we are going or what we will be doing. He loves it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading about those kidnappings. They sounded like a lot of fun.

      Delete