Sunday, October 3, 2021

Microwave Woes

Today for breakfast I made myself some oatmeal in the microwave. At lunchtime Hubby Tony tried to use it and nothing happened. The appliance was completely dead. I checked the breaker, which looked fine. (I still turned it off and then back on, because I've been fooled in the past. No luck.) 

This is a standard over the range microwave with an integrated light and fan. The back of the unit is completely inaccessible unless you were to unscrew the unit from the mounting bracket, so there is no easy way to see if something is amiss. Not that either Tony or I would know what to look for anyway. 

Tony searched for the manual online, figuring that would be easier than trying to go through all the papers we got from the previous owner when we moved in.  He found the document. He also found out that our microwave was nine year old, and the average one lasts about seven years. The manufacturer's Customer Service department is closed on Sunday so Tony couldn't call and get any advice, but we're assuming that paying for a service call and repairs will probably cost more than buying a new one.

So we're temporarily without what I consider an important appliance.

We do not have a toaster oven, so any heating up will temporarily have to be done on the stove or in the oven. For the foreseeable future defrosting something will have to be planned out in advance. The dirty dishes will increase, because instead of placing food in its ultimate bowl or plate there will also be a heating pot or pan. At least a pot to heat water for tea doesn't need to be washed-just air dried. Our Mr. Coffee has a thermal carafe which keeps the contents warm for a long time, but it can't work miracles.  I wonder if coffee heated in a pot can just be rinsed?

And then there's a couple of non-cooking disadvantages. I didn't realize how much I rely on the microwave clock until it wasn't there. Even though our range also has a timer, it operates in one-minute increments and I prefer the preciseness of the microwave one. I don't often need to run the exhaust fan, but what are the chances that now I'll produce so much smoke and steam that I'll wish there was something to vent it with?

Five years ago today: Want Some Carbs With Those Carbs?

25 comments:

  1. You should probably buy a new one.

    I have no microwave, only a small toaster oven. I plan things like defrosting in advance, so I just take it out from the freezer and keep it for a day or two in the fridge. No need for me to use a device (microwave or oven).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may be time for a new microwave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how we get so accustomed to having certain appliances that it's hard to do without them. I would have a hard time if our microwave went on the blink too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most recipes make four servings, so I've gotten used to having a fresh meal one night and leftovers the next....heated up in the microwave.

      Delete
  4. Bob has replaced our microwave.. it too was in a bracket above the stove. The whole thing was such a b***** that he will never do it again!! Haven't decided what to do when this one dies!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion, the fee we pay to eventually have a new microwave installed will be well worth it.

      Delete
  5. Put the name and model number in YouTube. You'd be surprised how many people have the same problems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always hit appliances once or twice on the side when they don't work. It doesn't fix them, but it makes me feel good and in charge.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear! I made porage in the microwave yesterday - and it boiled over. That was user error rather than machine though. Hope you get it sorted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate cleaning up a starchy mess! We have a special bowl that can cook a serving of oatmeal without boiling over.

      Delete
  8. I have a teensy microwave but I don't use it much. I hope that isn't a terribly labor intensive problem, to replace it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I can remember the installation is pretty straightforward, but it will be NO labor for us :-)

      Delete
  9. We had a over the stove microwave that ran but did not heat. We called the manufacturer to have it repaired. We had to take the microwave down for the repair man and when he was done fixing it he told us he wasn't allowed to return it to it's place above the stove. My husband had to do it! And it cost a fortune! Not quite as much as replacing it but almost!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had to replace ours a few years ago. Neither of us could lift the old one out. We hired someone! I use mine quite often, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I did some research I learned that the average microwave is 50-60 pounds. That's more than I want to lift!

      Delete
  11. The microwave, like the cell phone, is something I didn't have growing up but now can't imagine living without. Hope you get yours fixed (or a new one) soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember the first time I used a microwave...it felt very foreign. Now I think it's a must-have.

      Delete
  12. I wrote a long post about over-the-cooktop microwaves, which we have, only to be thrown out by blogger. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you get the microwave replaced? (Trying again to post a comment, but also wanting to know how it's going.)

    ReplyDelete