Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Whatever It Takes

A couple of days ago I got a  small, shallow scratch on the heel of my left hand. After it stopped bleeding I put a bandage on it, but because of the cut's location the bandage kept coming off. Liquid bandage wasn't effective either, because every time I did any type of cooking or cleaning the cut would open up again. Annoying.

After dinner tonight Hubby Tony and I took a walk. It was hot (halfway through I had sweat dripping down my neck), but there was a nice breeze blowing. Tony and I talked about what had happened today and what was on tomorrow's schedule. The stupid cut on my hand was already a little tender from putting dinner together. I can't walk without swinging my arms, and every few blocks I'd accidentally hit my hand on my hip. That really hurt.

When we reached the back entrance to the subdivision I was ready to head home, but Tony wanted to get more steps. I turned left and he continued straight. Without someone to talk to I noticed that the combination of heat and exercise was making my hands swell. I tried shaking my hands and clenching them into a fist, which made my cut hurt more. Soon that cut area was throbbing and I was feeling sorry for myself.

 I did a couple of arm circles, which helped some but probably looked a little funny. Then I figured out I just needed to keep my hand was above heart level. I spent the last two blocks of the walk holding my hands up in front of me like they had been surgically scrubbed.

14 comments:

  1. I have done that, my hands swell up more in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought some tape at Walgreens that will just about take your skin off when you take it off. I can't remember the name. Ask the pharmacy people about it. They took me right to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I went to bed last night I covered the scratch well. This morning it looks better. Fingers crossed there's actually a scab on it that will stay. But if not I know what to do. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Oh, no! That is frustrating, I know. I hope it all gets better. Cooler here, today, with an inch of rain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Little cuts can cause big annoyance. I usually apply some lotion on it, keep the cut open with no tape or bandage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize until recently that keeping a cut moisturized makes a big difference.

      Delete
  5. I try to keep my hands up when I walk too, especially when it's hot and they swell. IF I'm in a place where I know no one will see me I pump my arms up and down and around in circles! Gotta work all parts of the body!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds horrid, but heat on a new cut and sweat, that'd hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, I hope it's settled down now.

    ReplyDelete