Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Happy Unbirthday To Me

Just about every retailer has a loyalty program, and I belong to quite a few. It's always nice to get something free, or be offered a discount on an item you were going to buy anyway. Occasionally I've even been incentivized to pull out my charge card based just on a coupon I've received.

When I signed up for some of the programs, all they wanted to know was my email address or phone number. Others asked for more information. I'm a stickler for honesty, so when they wanted my birth month and day that's what they got. Then I read that, for privacy reasons, giving out the factual data might not be a good idea. 

I started staggering my 'birth' date throughout the year, borrowing the phrase unbirthday from Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking Glass. Although it still feels a little dishonest, so far not one company has called me on it. 

And other than better security for my personal data there are other advantage of a flexible birth date. My natal day is in January, when I'm always trying to lose weight and save money. Taking advantage of promotions for food, beverages, and retail items doesn't fit in with the new year's mindset. However, in April, June, or September those promotions are quite welcome. 

  Five years ago today: Do You Know The Way To San Jose?

10 comments:

  1. I do that too, was advised its a good security strategy along with mispelling your name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard about misspelling my name. Good suggestion.

      Delete
  2. "I'm a stickler for honesty,"
    So THAT'S your problem! I've got a throw away email that I use for sites that I think I might not go back to, but can't look at without giving them your email. I log in to that email about once every six months and delete everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about having an extra email address, but I've already got so many I regularly use (for personal, blogging, and volunteering). However, I DO have the spam filters in the personal address tight, and just delete things.

      Delete
  3. Never tried different birthdays. I should try it, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried a recent birth date - like last year's, pretending you're only one year old?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most places only want the month and day :-)

      Delete