Saturday, June 19, 2021

Cool!

 Yesterday was record-setting hot, with a high temperature of 101 degrees. Today was forecast to be 'only' 91 degrees, but with enough humidity to make it feel like 97. When it gets this nasty, exercising outside turns into a potentially dangerous chore.

Hubby Tony had a gathering to attend in the 7 am hour. I thought about getting up early to walk around the neighborhood, but that didn't happen. Tony's plan was to go to the gym after his commitment. He had extended an invitation to join him and I decided to take him up on it.

Tony enjoys using gym aerobic machines, but I do because I have to.  We started off on ellipticals right next to each other, but after 15 minutes I was bored and went use a treadmill. The gym was relatively empty, and I easily found what I was looking for. The hulking machine was a brand unknown to me, and had all types of bells and whistles. It took me a while to find the Start button, and then a couple more seconds to figure out how to increase the speed, but before long I was walking away at a semi-brisk pace.

Even though the gym had felt nicely cool when I entered, it didn't take long for me to work up a sweat. Looking at the treadmill dashboard I saw a button that said Fan. I pushed it and felt air coming out of a vent on the top. Pushing the button two more times put the fan into high mode, and I spent the next 45 minutes with my own personal cooling system.

Five years ago today: Garage Door Woes

16 comments:

  1. Good to be indoors at these temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to GO down to the curb and get the mail from the mailbox today. It was brutal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This weather is the thing I dislike most about the St. Louis area.

      Delete
  3. I've never been to a gym, so didn't know treadmills had their own fans! What a fantastically COOL idea on a hot, sweaty day! 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have a new favorite exercise machine.

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of a treadmill with I fan, and now I'm wondering why not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your weather is the same as mine. I sure miss my walk outside when it's so hot. I am always awake at a ridiculous hour, and sometimes work in my 40 minute walk starting at 5:30 AM. Lately, though, it's even too hot to walk at that time of day. At least we have the recumbent bike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're looking forward to a couple days of cooler weather before it heats up again. All things being equal I would much rather be outside than in.

      Delete
  6. My tread mill has a compartment that serves snacks, burgers and various hot/cold drinks. So you don't have to get off and get them from the bar.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd rather walk outdooors, will settle for a big box atore, but after hearing about a tread mill with a fan...maybe I'll try it. I had a friend who walked while viewing a scenic video: up hill, down hill etc. and she actually lost 30 pounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend who has a whole collection of walking videos. She swears by them.

      Delete