Thursday, January 21, 2021

Sprouts Begone!

Today the temperatures made it into the low 50s Fahrenheit (way above the 40° average). By the time I left the house at 9:30 to run errands it was already warm enough to put on my lighter weight winter coat, although I still wrapped a scarf around my neck. Thirty minutes later the scarf came off, and an hour after that I didn't need the coat zipped.

When I went outside to get the mail in the afternoon the temperature was even balmier. Tomorrow is forecast to be twenty degrees colder, so I knew that I needed to make the most of the warmth. I walked down to the end of my street, then turned around and came back up.

Across the street from our condo there's a retaining wall. When we moved in last winter the area at the top of the wall was a jumble of bush honeysuckle and creeping euonymus, both weedy and invasive plants. Once the weather warmed up the jumble was taken out and replaced with a row of evergreens, which will eventually grow together to make a hedge. 

However, the old plants did not go quietly. Wherever the landscapers forgot to pull up all the roots sprouts appeared. During the nice weather an employee of the condo management company would occasionally come and maintain the area, but now that it's cold I haven't seen him.

I'm thoroughly enjoying condo living, but every once in a while I still like to get my hands dirty, and decided to take advantage of being outside to pull up some of the sprouts. I walked along the wall yanking on the ones I came upon. The soil was moist from some rain earlier in the week, so many of them came out easily, spewing out pieces of dirt along with their root systems. I ripped the leaves off the stubborn sprouts, figuring that would temporarily deprive them of nutrients so they wouldn't thrive.

I've never heard that residents couldn't play at gardening, but I've never seen anyone do it. I kept looking around to make sure no one was taking offense at my efforts, but the street was quiet.

Five years ago today: Let's Call It Soup

12 comments:

  1. Maybe you can do some volunteer gardening at your condo! Good to know you enjoy condo life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If things ever go back to 'normal' I just might do that!

      Delete
  2. Stealth gardening. It could catch on . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been an Influencer in my life...guessing I won't be starting now :-)

      Delete
  3. I should think everybody would be grateful to you for keeping the greenery nice and tidy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think so, too, but since the coronavirus shut everything down shortly after we moved in I haven't had a chance to meet too many people.

      Delete
  4. I would have done that. I smiled; I wondered at first if you had encountered brussels sprouts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be inclined to 'begone' Brussels sprouts into my mouth!

      Delete
  5. Some years ago I saw a bus that had broken down. The passengers all got out and helped push it. I went to help them. The bus conductor asked me if I had a ticket. I said, No. He said only passengers are allowed to push the bus.

    So as a resident you're allowed to pull the sprouts off the wall; as long as you have your residents' book with you, or other document.

    I read this legalise in a book on condo living which I am writing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the clarification. You're a very prolific writer :-)

      Delete
  6. years ago we moved from a condo to a house with a yard. I was delighted to be able to plant my own flowers and tend them. I think they should thank you for enhancing the property.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to grow some hanging pots on the deck this past summer and found out there's not really enough light. I guess I'll have to figure out alternate ways to get my plant fix.

      Delete