This morning I opened up my blog and noticed that the layout was out of whack. The right sidebar wasn't where it was supposed to be; instead it was at the bottom of the first page of posts.
I poked around in the Layout and Theme sections, but when I didn't have any luck fixing the problem I started searching through the Blogger Help posts. It didn't take long for me to find the answer to my issue. A Platinum Product Expert by the name of DarkUFO suggested the problem was some bad HTML code in one of my posts.
The solution was to open the posts up one at at time from the Dashboard and see if the sidebar was in the correct place. When I found the one where the issue started I could look at the HTML code to find the error.
That was easier said than done. Last year when I was forced to change to the New Blogger, one of the things I hated the most was that they switched to 'real' HTML. It was harder to figure out because there were no line breaks. However, I wanted to make sure things looked tidy on my blog so I did what I had to.
Fortunately, the issue wasn't too far down the list of posts. When I found it I selected and cut the text from the Compose page. Next I clicked over to the HTML view and removed what was left (which I assumed was the 'bad' code). I pasted the cut text in, then went back to Compose to put in paragraph breaks.
Now things are back to normal in my tiny corner of the internet universe.
Five years ago today: A Cultural Challenge