Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Masses Of Masks

Back in May I purchased face masks (two for me, and two for Hubby Tony) from a nearby crafter. Since I wasn't going out much there was no problem always having a clean one when I left the house. However, once summer humidity hit, just stepping outside made the masks sweaty. I was also doing more out in public, which meant I needed to use a mask more often.

Last month my U.S. Census supplies contained three masks made out of white knit material. It was nice to have more face coverings, but since I was turning the masks over so quickly I was forced to hand wash and air dry them, and the multi-layered knit took a long time to dry. All of a sudden I wasn't always able to have a mask stashed in my purse, and I was afraid I would rush out the door unprepared.

I thought about contacting my original seller to get more, but her prices were just high enough to stop me. Last week a Facebook friend posted about some masks she had bought at Old Navy, and I filed the information away for future use. Yesterday my Census work took me right by an Old Navy store and I stopped in to see what they had.

What they had were multitudes of masks in both adult and children's sizes...the adult sizes were packs of five for $12.50. I was able to open a package and take a mask out to look at it. The cotton material felt substantial, and when I held the mask up to the light I couldn't see through it. The large elastic ear loops had adjusters--small disks of plastic that slid up and down the elastic to make the loop larger or smaller.

The downside was that the masks didn't have a nose wire or pocket for a filter. However, I've learned that if I tuck the mask under the bottom frame of my glasses that does a good job of holding it in place. And although there might be some tiny benefit to me of having an additional filter, the most current research says that face masks are meant to protect other people. If I didn't feel well I wouldn't leave the house.

Some of the coolest prints were only available for children, but I found a package I liked and brought it home. The first thing I did was throw them all in the washer. I wondered if the cotton fabric would wrinkle, but they came out great.


Now I have enough masks that I can wait and wash out a couple at a time. It will be nice to not worry about leaving the house maskless. Hubby Tony didn't care for the prints I chose for myself, so I will be swinging by Old Navy again soon.

Five years ago today: Vacay 2015--When in Rome...

7 comments:

  1. I did see old navy advertising masks good to know you like them well enough, great prices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the adjuster on the ear bands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been more thankful to be able to sew than this year! I've made tons of masks and just given them away to help folks. (There is a lady in our building who was making masks and selling them for $20 each! I do not understand people like that!) Nowadays, our local Dillon's stores (Kroger) sell tons of masks (both cloth and the medical type) for basically pretty good prices. They seem to have a lot in stock (for the time being anyway lol). Take care, Kathy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I could sew masks if I wanted to, by the time I purchased material and elastic I would have substantial money invested into the project. And I could get them a lot faster.

      Delete
  4. You are a brave woman to go to large shopping areas like Old Navy. I keep trying to find the right day, with the right amount of courage, to go to Ulta which is in a large shopping center. Grocery shopping is about all I'm willing to do right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old Navy did one of the best jobs I've ever seen. They had dedicated in/out doors, an associate stationed at the door directing me to use the hand sanitizer station, and tape arrows on the floor directing traffic. The masks were in a bin just inside the door, so I got what I wanted and moved straight to the cash register area where there were the ubiquitous social distancing dots to stand while you waited.

      Delete