Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Goin' Phishing

Earlier in the week I received an email from an acquaintance from church. It read:
Hi, How are you doing? I need a quick favor from you. Let me know if you are available.
The message didn't feel right. First of all, I don't have the type of relationship with the person such that they would ask me for favors. Also the prior messages I've received were written with correct grammar and punctuation. Instead of responding to the email I found the person's address in my contacts and used it to compose and send this:
I just got a message from you that felt spammy.  If you really sent it to me I apologize. Feel free to ask away. I will be happy to help if I can.
Five minutes later I received a response:
Hi Kathy,

Appreciate your kind response. I need to get Itunes gift cards for my Niece, It's her birthday but i can't do this now because I'm currently out of town, also i am having issues getting it online. Could you please get them at any store around you and send to my email?

I'll reimburse you as soon as i am back.

Kindly let me know if you can handle this.

P.S. It's 2 gift cards at $100 each

Thanks
Now I was 99.9% sure it was a scam, but just to cover all my bases I looked up the person's number in the church directory and called. It went to voice mail, and I left a detailed message about what was going on. I got a return call that verified my suspicions that it was indeed a spam.

Five years ago today: Vacay 2015--One Day At Sea

9 comments:

  1. Good catch! The bad guys are getting way too inventive. Using the church directory, knowing who to target as possible friends. Sounds like an insider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assumed that the hacker was just going through the person's email contact list seeing who they could scam. Didn't think it could be more to it...but your theory is even scarier.

      Delete
  2. Good job! Yep, the scammers and spammers are alive and well. I used to get those many years ago. Changed my email, never gave it out again, that stopped it. Ahhhhh, silence. 🙌 Blessings, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trick is to always stay one step ahead, right?

      Delete
  3. A very common scam, I think. I had a version come by me, recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was floored by the boldness of the person after I specifically started a new email train.

      Delete
  4. That is scary. Glad you didnt fall for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you that you didn't fall for that, very innovative how you tracked this down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got that gift card spam too. The friend had to close out her account and get a new one and I had to block her old email address. Grumbles!

    ReplyDelete