Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Perplexing Piece Of Prose

The website Unclear Text has a text editor with the options of excluding either the 100, 1000, or 10,000 most common words. Tonight I played around with the 1,000 word option, which was surprisingly difficult. Eventually I came up with a story of Mr. Magoo and his unusual day:
Morning, Mr. Magoo's alarm blared, signaling arising. Shower, shave, breakfast.

Commute taxicab. Elevator executive suite. Seated behind desk, prep CPU. Develop paperwork, schedule meetings. Noontime, consume lunch. Afternoon, extensive telephone communication. Close workday, pack briefcase, decamp. Reverse commute.

Evening chow. Stroll throughout neighborhood. Slumber prep. Entree berth.
Five years ago today: Enough. Already!

6 comments:

  1. If excluding common words (well, that many of them) means the story takes much more effort to understand, I guess I think I'd rather use more common words and be easier to read. But then I get the feeling that was your point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed at how 'common' my writing is (and how many of the words I typed disappeared into cyberspace, meaning they were on the common list). It certainly was an interesting experiment, though.

      Delete