Thursday, June 11, 2020

No Problem

Today Hubby Tony celebrated another trip around the sun, and per tradition got to request what he wanted for dinner. Part of his request was a dessert of cake and ice cream. This morning I baked a tiny three-layer chocolate cake and frosted it with chocolate icing, but the day got away from me before I could get to the store to buy the ice cream. All of a sudden Tony was finished with work and asked if I wanted to take a walk with him. I wondered aloud if it would be possible to combine it with the ice cream trip, given that the temperature was in the low 80s. In the end I figured out that an insulated lunchbox with an ice block could keep the ice cream cold, and our trip was on.

There was only one problem. The store we were headed to still enforced a COVID ban on reusable grocery bags. Since the quarantine started back in March they've had an associate stationed at the entrance door to make sure all the rules are followed. While we walked toward the store I came up with an elaborate story and solution in case the associate took offense at my lunchbox. As we reached the door Tony and I put out masks on and I prepared to stand my ground.

I needn't have bothered. For the first time in weeks the door associate was missing.

Five years ago today: "Distractions", Indeed!

9 comments:

  1. That was fortunate, restrictions must be easing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we entered Phase 1 a couple of weeks ago.

      Delete
  2. Oh, dear, I think that is scary that they are no longer monitoring the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll keep an eye on that store and if it starts feeling unsafe with too many people I'll go to another one.

      Delete
  3. And you got your ice cream? What flavor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony decided on butter pecan, which went great with the chocolate/chocolate cake. The walk home was a little over a half mile, and the ice cream stayed plenty hard.

      Delete