Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Eat Your Vegetables!

I learned from Holidays Calendar that today was National Eat Your Vegetables Day. Hubby Tony and I eat a lot of produce; who knew there was an opportunity to celebrate our achievement?

Actually, even before I found out about the observance I was working on tonight's dinner plans. I started by looking in the refrigerator, where I found a half head of red cabbage that needed to be used up. A quick Google search gave me the recipe for Curried Cashew and Red Cabbage Stir-Fry.

Website photo by Todd Porter & Diane Cu
However, I often change a recipe's ingredients around, and this one was no exception. I added extra garlic and a couple of stalks of chopped celery, sliced the carrots thin instead of shredding them, and used minced fresh parsley instead of cilantro. A dinner time I served the dish over brown rice. It tasted wonderful, even though the cabbage bled some color onto the other ingredients.

Five years ago today: Little Seed Of Squash

9 comments:

  1. That really sounds delicious and healthy. I’d better go check my refrigerator now to make sure we have veggies for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my kinda dish. Going to try it. Did you use a mandolin to slice the carrots thin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a mandolin, so I did the best I could with a knife. When I was stir frying, I added the carrots into the pan after the onions had cooked for a couple of minutes, then put in the celery and cabbage a couple of minutes after that.

      Delete
  3. Nicely done! I love changing them up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to eat more veggies. But man, here in AZ, they last less than they did even in Southern California...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet the heat is a big factor. Maybe frozen ones?

      Delete
  5. Very healthy, creative and delicious looking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like red cabbage, and white cabbage too. Well, green actually.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete