Friday, April 17, 2009

Show Me The Mistake

My car's registration needs to be renewed this month. Missouri released a new license plate design last year, and has been handing out new ones as the old ones expire. Today I came home with a set of unbent, shiny plates. The first thing I did was see if the state corrected a glaring grammar mistake. (The hyphen is missing in the state’s nickname, “Show-Me State”. A compound modifier before a noun should be hyphenated.) They had not.

Last fall I corrected the mistake on Tony's license plate. Today I did the same thing with mine, using a Sharpie to make a small mark in between the Show and the Me on the front and back plates before I installed them on my car. I also checked to see if the dash on Tony's license plate was still visible; it was. Now I know that there are at least two cars on the road that are sporting correct grammar.

No comments:

Post a Comment