Friday, January 30, 2009

Kind of Blue

I heard on the radio the other day that this year marks the 50th anniversary of Miles Davis' Kind of Blue album. Officially, the album was recorded on March 2 and April 22, 1959 and released August 17, 1959.

When I was a child, Kind of Blue was the only jazz album in my parent's collection. I thought it WAS jazz. As a teenager (during my hard rock period) I scorned it; it was't contemporary enough. However, as an adult I've come to love the relaxed melodic sounds of Miles' trumpet and how it interacts with the piano, saxophones, bass, and drums of the other musicians.

In honor of the anniversary, enjoy this video:




2 comments:

  1. Kathy,
    One of the best albums EVER!!!!
    Your parents were very progressive.
    I wish my parents had allowed Miles, Coltrane, or Monk in.....
    Que Sera, Sera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one Miles Davis album was an anomaly...most of their collections was pop and show tunes. However, they also had a lot of Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass...go figure!

    ReplyDelete