Friday, September 27, 2024

Masking Up And Moving On

My recent retreat ended on Sunday. On Monday the director sent an email to the team members reminding us about a wrap-up meeting on Thursday night.

The first two responses came quickly--an enthusiastic "I'll be there!" and "Sorry, but I'll be out of town visiting family." The third response was two hours later, and said "Sorry, but I tested positive for COVID". After that, between Monday and Wednesday three other women reported they were also positive.

(For some reason, the past two years the women's fall retreat has turned into a super-spreader event. The men's spring version of the same retreat has had no problems. It's not fair.)

I have had no symptoms. If I had contracted COVID from the retreat, the last day it could have happened was Sunday, so according to CDC guidelines that is my Day 0. Today is Day 5. Following the same guidelines, as long as I am symptom-free I can go about my business as long as I wear a mask in large groups.

Hubby Tony and I are scheduled to attend a fellowship convention this weekend. 

 I waffled over the Thursday wrap-up meeting. Should go and be around others who might be asymptomatic for the virus (and maybe start my clock over again) or stay home in respect for the weekend people?

Thursday morning a team member sent a message that she was not attending the wrap-up, because she going out of town soon and avoiding large crowds. That gave me permission to do the same. I responded to the group with my regrets.

This morning my suitcase includes masks and COVID tests. Just in case. It's a new world.

6 comments:

  1. A solemn reminder to not take this thing too lightly ..... still. I'll be wearing my mask at bingo today. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a lot of it about. There's no escape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry and I are scheduled for flu shots next Friday and then two weeks later we will have COVID vaccine #9. Will we ever reach a point where those won't be necessary every 6 months??? The variants just keep coming. If we were able to stop TB and polio and diphtheria with vaccines, why can't the same thing happen with COVID?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still haven't caught it. But sure are lots of strange illnesses going about, that hospitalize people who never get a clear diagnoses as to what laid them low, mostly with severe diarrhea, even lung issues. But I wonder if those folks ate that contaminated Boers Head deli meat, that contained listeria.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's that time of year - both my sons work at Care facilities and have already started battling it. At least it's not anything compared to 2020. May it never get worse and always be manageable. Better yet, I wish it was 100% preventable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got the latest Covid shot. It's based on the JN.1 and KP.2 variants. According to the CDC they are 1.7% and 3.1% of the variants right now. The variant KP3.1.1 accounts for 52.7% of the cases right now. And there is a newer variant XEC that is showing up in half the states. But that was as of 10 days ago. Who knows what it is now. Take that mask.

    ReplyDelete