Sunday, September 22, 2024

Great To Go Away, But Great To Get Home

The retreat I helped plan this past weekend was a great success. It started on Thursday evening and ended on Sunday morning back at the church. Each morning both the team and the retreatants got up before sunrise and didn't go to bed until after dark. Unfortunately the weather was hot and humid and we had to move some of the activities inside, but other than that everything went according to plan.

The retreat center used to be a school for men studying to be religious brothers. When it was first built the area was completely rural, and the center is still surrounded by green space. The dormitory building is more than a hundred years old. The bedrooms are small (with a twin bed, small desk and chair, tiny closet, and sink), and reflect their original purpose as simple sleeping quarters for communal living, but I didn't spend much time there. The rooms have been updated for this century with ceiling fans and window unit air conditioning. The bathrooms and showers are down the hall. The area has been updated with new tile and fixtures, but are still pretty spartan.

It was great to be away, but also great to get home. I chose to turn off my phone for the weekend and came home to a slew of emails in my inboxes and dozens of posts in my reader. In addition to electronic clutter there is also a pile of retreat paperwork to wade through because as the weekend went on I just tossed things in a pile to bring home instead of organizing it onsite. 

I know I will eventually wade through everything.....starting tomorrow 😫.

Five years ago today: Life Lessons For Aging

6 comments:

  1. I did a silent retreat one weekend at a convent/retreat centre where the accommodations sound very much like what you described. It was a good retreat, but I haven't done one since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband went on a silent retreat at a monastery. He got a lot out of it. I’ve been to women’s retreats and they were fun with powerful teachings and testimonies.
    I’m glad you enjoyed it and everything worked according to plans.
    Saturday is our day in Alanon that I will be helping at - in the kitchen! We have so much fun there preparing the food for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tomorrow, the best day to do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your successful event 👏🏽

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done. Having no 'phone interruptions for a couple of days must have been so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a good thing to be able to turn our phone off-I don't have one of those-but I do have a desk top computer. sounds like a good retreat. Happy autumn and new week

    ReplyDelete