Monday, June 5, 2023

Fine Feathered Friends

Last November I started my job cooking for a church. The weather had already turned chilly by then. I walked around the grounds a couple of times, but for the most part just hustled from the car into the building.

When spring came the pastor told me he was excited that the chickens were laying eggs again. The fact there were chickens was news to me, but I found out the coop was a feature of the school's outdoor classroom. Some time later I figured out where that coop was located. 

It was fascinating to watch the chickens and listen to their clucking and vocalizations. When I made cooking scraps I would Google to see if it was something 'the girls' could eat. Now, most shifts find me walking across the parking lot with a bowl of goodies for the chickens. I distribute the food and talk to them for a little bit before heading back.

I'm not sure, but I suspect they now know who I am. There are three chickens left from the original flock of six. Each is a different breed, but they seem to coexist nicely. Except for the time I brought some pork fat cut from the chops I was cooking. Then it was every hen for herself.

Enjoying some watermelon

Five years ago:Interesting New Dog Breeds

19 comments:

  1. That’s so nice of you to think about the chickens. I’d do the same, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Until the last month or so I didn't neither.

      Delete
  3. Don't let the Colonel know where they're located.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pretty tough old birds. I don't think he'd want them.

      Delete
  4. Watermelon, really? I was under the impression that critters eat anything but fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now know that they can eat (and enjoy) any fruit as long as the seeds have been removed.

      Delete
  5. I really enjoy your blog daily for meaningful contents. Would you like to write a guest post at www.guestblog.io let me know so that i will invite you to join the site.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, a black, a brown, and a white chicken coexisting peacefully (OK, mostly peacefully), how we humans could learn a lesson from them . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. That must have been a surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our backyard neighbors had chickens and I loved them. I talked to them, especially the rooster, every morning. They sold the house and moved to a spot in the country, better for the chickens, but I miss them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many municipalities around here allow chickens, but only a small percentage of those allow roosters.

      Delete
  9. My neighbors at the end of the cul de sac have chickens. I can hear them rejoice when one lays an egg. I took them some mealworms a month ago. They gave me some of their eggs back near easter. I hope your church girls have names?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they have names no one's told me them yet.

      Delete
  10. I've mused over having Chickens here at the mini farm...Dawn the Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be the perfect fit...but with everything on your plate right now it might not be the best time.

      Delete