Friday, June 16, 2023

Back In The Biking Business

Yesterday I received a call from the repair shop telling me my bike was ready to be picked up. Today after my morning commitments Hubby Tony dropped me off at the store, and I rode home. 

At the front desk the associate found my repair ticket and handed it off to someone else to retrieve my bike from the storage area. He did the payment part. A couple of minutes later I saw my distinctive teal frame being wheeled though the showroom. Before he handed it over to me, the associate pointed out all the things they did. It turns out that the gentleman who converted my conventional bike to an electric one could have done a couple of things differently:

  • The rear bike rack (which is what the battery rests on) had some loose bolts. The movement of the rack is what led to the need for a new tire.
  • The chain that came with the conversion kit had been cut a little bit too short, which led to a crack in the chain hanger.
  • When the gentleman delivered the bike he told me I shouldn't move the gear from where he set it on the fifth position. I followed that advice. However, today I found out that wasn't the best advice. I should have been using the gears as well as the motor on inclines. Otherwise, the cassette (set of sprockets that the chain moves on) would fail and need to be replaced.
  • Related to the gear shifting issue, the too-short chain would not be able to handle first gear. The shop disabled that option for me.

In the end, I left with a bike with all the necessary new parts. The shop also tightened the bolts, oiled the chain, re-installed my battery, and even reset my water bottle holder to the correct angle. I was thrilled with the effort they went through. They did such a good job I might have to think about giving them my business...even though there are four other stores that are closer.

Five years ago: One Of The Mysteries Of The Universe....

10 comments:

  1. It sounds like this shop is the kind of place that would earn my continued loyalty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the name of the bike shop iiissssss.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. good customer service beats out proximity any time. Sounds like the previous dealer didn't do you any favors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The person who converted my bike was an individual recommended by someone in our condo development.

      Delete
  4. Glad you are pleased -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't even know that was a thing, to convert a conventional to electric, but why not? When I was at the fCCO ten days ago, one of the employees came up the steep hill to the clinic, like it was nothing. She grinned and showed me her electric bike, said it had worked wonders for her commute so she didn't arrive all sweaty and worn out. She's already logged 4000 miles on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that bikes could be converted either, until a man who lives down the street talked about a friend of his that did it. In the end I saved quite a bit of money.

      Delete