Thursday, June 29, 2023

Thinking Outside The Box

When I lived in my previous house I kept my costume jewelry in the closet-a belt rack attached to one wall for my necklaces, and a large piece of burlap attached to another wall to hang the earrings on. But when Hubby Tony and I downsized to our condo there was no wall space available, and it took me a while to figure out a storage system.

The fancy jewelry organizers I saw online were more than I wanted to pay, so I continued my search. One day I was rooting around in the storage area, saw a tackle box, and a light bulb went off. I wondered if I could use that to hold my jewelry. It turned out that plastic fishing lure hook and tackle boxes were the perfect solution.

The boxes are perfect because:

  • They have a lid that latches securely.
  • The boxes are flat enough to stack two up in a dresser drawer.
  • The divers are adjustable. You can use none of them, some of them, or all of them. I now have four of the boxes...two for necklaces and two for earrings. The necklaces boxes only use the horizontal dividers, but the earring boxes also incorporate the vertical divers to separate the box into little compartments.
  • I have a lot of earrings, too many for each pair to have its own compartment. Even when I put a couple of pairs in each compartment, though, it's easy to pick out exactly what I'm looking for.
  • Best of all, the boxes were cheap at the sporting goods store. I got all four of them for less than the price of one fancy organizer

Five years ago today: Can This Really Be True?

13 comments:

  1. Have you been hanging out at the new Bass Pro?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been there yet. How does it compare with the Bass Pro in St. Charles or the Cabela's in Hazelwood?

      Delete
    2. I don't know. I haven't been to any Bass Pro ever. 😁

      Delete
  2. I love finding a creative and unexpected way to fill a need. It makes me feel accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And feelings of accomplishment are always a good thing.

      Delete
  3. Don't you love it when you find a perfect solution! I put an old frame to use for necklaces. I used a thin piece of wood for the "picture" area and put tiny hooks in to hold necklaces and some earrings, then I hinged a canvas to the front and used some peel and stick wallpaper scraps to make a design on the canvas. It hangs in the bathroom and is easy to open and view when I am getting dressed to go somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, there's no good walls for me to do anything like that.

      Delete
  4. I used to have a earring holder that I made from an old toaster oven rack. I stopped using it a while ago because I really had nowhere to hang it. Now I'm back to rummaging through a jewelry box drawer for earrings! I'll have to see about your idea!

    ReplyDelete