Saturday, February 4, 2023

Wind Current Style

Since Hubby Tony and I joined the YMCA a couple of weeks ago I've been enjoyed their wide variety of group fitness classes. So far I've participated in Zumba, Step, and Yoga. Today was Cycling. 

It's been a long time since I worked out on an exercise bike with a group. At the gym before my previous one I used to take Spinning (the trademarked name for choreographed cycling classes) on a regular basis. When I moved from that gym to the one we just left there were no convenient Spin class times, and then the classes were moved to an upgraded membership level and it wasn't an option for me. At the Y all group classes are reserved on the app, and Cycling fills up quickly. When I opened up the app yesterday I was pleased to see availability this morning and jumped on the opportunity. 

With the reservation system there's no need to show up early to insure a space. Nevertheless, since every brand of exercise bike is a little different I gave myself extra time to make sure I was set up before the class started. That didn't matter since the instructor rolled in late, apologizing that she had been held up at a railroad crossing.

Inside the cycling room I picked a bike in the middle of the last row. It wasn't hard to adjust the seat  and handlebars and I was ready when the instructor cranked up the music. About a quarter of the way through the class the instructor walked around the room and turned on large oscillating fans. I happened to be right next to one. The breeze did a great job of keeping me cool, but every time it blew my way my hair went crazy. At the end of the class my style was quite interesting!

Five years ago today: Setup Snafu

19 comments:

  1. Glad the new gym is working out -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got to do one spin class at the Y because Claudia had a Parkinsons class there. I needed the fans, a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume you're talking about the location off of Tesson Ferry? Still go there?

      Delete
    2. We haven't been there since Covid. Parkinsons during Covid took Claudia down several notches physically. Trying to get her exercising again is painful for her and me. I should be more mean to her. 😁

      Delete
  3. I tried a spin class once. Ended up tossing my breakfast, but made it to the ladies' room before eruption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! The thing I like best about spinning is that no one knows how much you actually turn the knob. If it gets too hard for me I dial it back down :-)

      Delete
  4. Good for you! I've been snowshoeing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to try that! Not enough snow here, though.

      Delete
  5. I should be spinning something, besides yarns. Wild hair day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome that you're getting good exercise in. I'm afraid I went downhill during the pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today is always a good time to start a new habit :-)

      Delete
  7. I went to the Gym for the first time and did Cycling as my 30 minute regimen with time set aside for a Wet Sauna, it was very energizing and made the rest of the day easier. I think I'll want to now go more than just once a Week on Sunday... perhaps daily, or close to it, after dropping the Teens off at School. I'll have PT for the next Three Weeks, so... there's that, I slacked on the PT Homework, so hard to do exercising at Home for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than walking, I fail miserably when I try to exercise on my own. That's why a gym is important to me.

      Delete
  8. Kudis to you for participatingin allthose activities. I am proud of myself when I walk the aisles of the big box stores. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days I do a gym workout, and others I walk at Lowe's or Walmart :-)

      Delete
  9. Glad you got to take a spin class! Hair blowing in my face is one of my pet peeves for some reason!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done you! I find cycling very hard.

    ReplyDelete