Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Flowers And Fun

When I came into the kitchen this morning there was a beautiful flower arrangement and a small box of chocolate covered strawberries from Hubby Tony waiting for me on the island. I walked back to the bedroom and retrieved the box of decadent cookies for him I had hidden in my dresser drawer. We agreed that since it was Valentine's Day we could break into the sweets before breakfast.

After breakfast was cleaned up and the morning chores done we got ready to leave the house. Two weeks ago I made reservations for us at the Botanical Garden. We try to get there once a month, but today our main goal was to see the Orchid Show.

The temperature was lightweight winter coat warm, but there was a light rain falling as Tony pulled into the parking lot. We walked briskly into the building and a docent scanned our tickets. The garden just opened a fancy new visitor's center, and the conservatory where the show was held was in a far corner of the building. The displays were arranged on both sides of a path that meandered around the room. Sometimes smaller specimens were displayed together:


 Sometimes the flowers were positioned in large swaths. These Dancing Lady orchids always make me smile. They look like they're flying through the sky:
Doesn't this one look like it's been tie dyed?

 After we walked through the show we realized that the rain had stopped so we went outside and walked around the garden. Other than a few staff members who were working, the garden was completely empty. I felt like it was our own private paradise. 

By this point we were getting hungry, so we left the Garden and headed towards the second portion of our date. Instead of celebrating Valentine's Day with dinner out, we opted for lunch. Tony had made reservations at Eleven Eleven Mississippi, a restaurant that has a great reputation. After a yummy lunch of field greens salad and thick slices of meatloaf layered over smashed potatoes and sauteed spinach I would have to agree.

Five years ago today: Valentine's Day Trivia

14 comments:

  1. Well 1111 Mississippi isn't someplace you would drive by and say let's stop in here. One could drive right by it and miss it altogether. I'm going to quiz my sister (Miss let's go out to eat) and see if she knows about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely more of a destination place. Let me know what your sister says.

      Delete
    2. For sure she's been there. She liked it but said it was kind of expensive.

      Delete
    3. This was one of those restaurants where the prices took a big jump on the dinner menu. Our bill was about $40, not bad for a nice meal out.

      Delete
    4. My sister called me last night wanting to know why I wanted to know that. So I told her the whole story. She said they have been there a couple of times.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely way to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Your day sounds lovely! The Patient offered me McDonalds for supper. He did take me to Longhorn steakhouse for luch, though. Then we had to pick up Charming Eddie from the vet after his "procedure". Eddie then proceeded to monopolize all my time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good day for you and The Patient; not the best Valentine's Day for Charming Eddie though.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a pretty swell way to spend your Valentine's Day. Glad you and Hubby Tony had a good one. It's always nice to have another St. Louisian visit me. My mom's family grew up there and a lot still live in the area. I was born there and probably the main reason I still love the Cardinals. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Cardinals rule!

      Delete