Thursday, February 16, 2023

Charting

After finishing a three-year term as secretary for a fellowship, at the end of last year I was elected to maintain the group records for the next three years. Most of the work is computer-based, but I have to give a report at each of the four yearly business meetings.

The first meeting is next month, and I've already started pulling my thoughts together. Instead of just standing at the podium and speaking I decided some of the information would be easier to convey via PowerPoint. I've barely ever used the program, but after playing around with it I've come up with some slides that convey the necessary facts.

This morning one of my fellow volunteers sent me a cool-looking chart that did a great job of summarizing some of the key points I need to pass on. The chart was a PDF document, which means it couldn't be edited with the software I have. I tried running the file though an online converter, but the graphics came out so jumbled they were unrecognizable. I decided to try to make a chart myself using Word. It took me quite a while to figure out how to do it, but at the end I was proud of my work. After patting myself on the back I added the chart to my slide deck.

This is what it looked like (with the real wording replaced).

Five years ago: What Is Your Investing Spirit Animal?

12 comments:

  1. Good job. You could also have asked your friend to send you the non pdf editable version -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. The problem was that she was not the author of the original version and did not know how to contact the author.

      Delete
  2. I've used https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_OpenOffice in the past. I know people that use https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice. I haven't had the need to explore that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is exactly how it is when we succeed at something we are unfamiliar with and have doubts about. congrats on your success with power point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago I worked at a small investment firm as an admin. In my free time I would play on the computer and figure out how to do things.

      Delete
  4. You should be proud! That's nice work! I once had to make a spreadsheet in Excel and it took me forever! When I was done, though, everyone loved it and used it all the time! I was proud and it was worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done. I actually love a challenge like that, seeing something that would work for me and finding a way to bring it to fuition given what I've got on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to make a game out of using what's available.

      Delete
  6. Good work! You should be proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete