Thursday, February 2, 2023

How Fast Is Enough?

I used to have a heavy foot on the gas pedal, but now I'm a 'recovering speeder' who tries to go the posted speed limit. My new habit comes in handy when I pass a hidden patrol car and I don't have to worry that I'm going to see flashing lights coming after me. However, the past few months it feels like traffic is going faster.

 The subdivision and non-highway streets I use on a regular basis have enough stop lights and signs that traffic usually flows at close to the posted rate. However, the interstate is different.

In the St. Louis metropolitan area the interstate speed limit is 60 miles per hour. To keep up with the flow of traffic it takes an additional five miles per hour (and on 8:00 on Sunday morning when I drive to the church to cook breakfast ten miles per hour is often more appropriate). Depending on how I'm feeling I either join in the speeding, or poke along in the far right lane and let all the other cars pass me.

As you move away from the city the speed limit rises to 65 mph, and maxes out at 70 mph. I'm not on these roads as much, but ironically, I don't see as much limit exceeding on these roads. Wonder why?

Five years ago: The Real To-Do List

18 comments:

  1. we have a terrible speeding problem here. If you drive the speed limit, which is 55 on most roads, but 65 on the interstate, you will be honked at, glared at, sped around, cut off, its just ugly. I could go 80 on the interstate and still be passed by 90% of the cars. Consequently, there are many many accidents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In inner city roads our max is 20mph.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have some of those too, but it is more common to see 25 mph.

      Delete
  3. We have people speeding terribly on our highways. We live on the highway. It is awful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's scary how fast some people drive on the freeway! Sometimes if we are driving the speed limit or maybe 5 miles over, people pass us like we are standing still!! I avoid them whenever I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I cannot avoid the highways, but I do what I can to be safe.

      Delete
  5. Maybe you've had an influx of Californians! Oh, my, the cars on our city streets are crazy fast. And they are reckless, as in flying through red lights just as they change. In January we had 7 pedestrian fatalities in city limits. There are more pedestrians on the streets as well as speeding cars on the roads. Gas is very costly here so I don't understand the fast driving as it just uses more gas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been on enough California interstates (as both a passenger and a driver) to know how reckless drivers can be. The thing that particularly scares me is the motorcycles that speed between the lanes of cars on the road.

      Delete
    2. That motorcycle maneuver is called lane splitting, and as your kids may have told you, it's legal.

      Delete
  6. After getting a speeding ticket a few years ago I try to be good now but sometimes, as you say, the flow just takes you along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently switched car insurance and agreed to 90 days of using their app which tracks my driving to try to get a better discount. So, I've been watching my speed as the app will sure let me know when I speed on any trips I take. I usually drive about 5 over on the interstate to keep from getting run over. The last time I did, a few weeks ago, this tracking app showed red all along the route for speeding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard about those apps, but they feel intrusive. The rate would have to be A LOT better for me to use one.

      Delete
  8. I do try to observe the speeding limits, people seem to go a bit faster than the limit so you have to follow along as best you can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What concerns me is when I'm on the highway and speeding cars start weaving in and out of lanes. I'm terrified that not only might I be caught up in an accident they cause, but that if not, I may end up seeing someone get really hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My comment may be in spam jail.

    ReplyDelete