Saturday, January 21, 2023

Whereabouts

Earlier today Liz at Finding Life Hard? asked if I had heard about what3words. I had not, but Wikipedia told me:

"What3words is a proprietary geocode system designed to identify any location on the surface of the earth with a resolution of about 3 metres (9.8 ft)".
The article goes on to say:
"What3words differs from most location encoding systems in that it uses words rather than strings of numbers or letters, and the pattern of this mapping is not obvious; the algorithm mapping locations to words is protected by copyright."

I had fun playing around with the site. To start, I entered an address in the search box in the upper left hand corner. The search box changed to show the what3words identifier, and a line pointed to the location on the map. I found out that the mall close to my house was punk.couple.film, and the grocery store across the street was snap.hails.limbs.The nearby park was descended.topped.frock.

There's an option to share the information via email or social media platforms. You can navigate with several different apps. Signing up for an account lets you save locations and sync the information across devices.
 
Five years ago today: Time For Some Updates

12 comments:

  1. Well isn't this spiffy. I've never heard of this. If I add all the words that are on my lot I could have a small dictionary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link, Kathy. It is fun, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be right up my husband's alley and keep him busy. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. According to the article I read recently, it was created to help locate people lost in the woods, snow, etc. How would you tell someone where you are located if all you see around you is trees & a stream? Even with GPS on your phone, it's not nearly as accurate. For instance, you're halfway down the hill & not up on the road, but unable to call out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. You raise valid points.

      Delete
  5. They used millions of people worldwide to measure every bit of the planet in 3 metres squares. I saw them two years ago measuring my front garden. Then they pinned little cardboard notices with three words on them into the ground and took photos.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, how come YOU get to see all the interesting activities and I don't?

      Delete
    2. They probably called on you at night, or when you were out shopping. I chatted with them and gave them refreshments. My three words are Coffee Tea Milk.

      God bless.

      Delete