Friday, January 20, 2023

Y Not?

Hubby Tony and I have been members of a local multi-branch gym since 2009. I like it because they have a nice selection of aerobic machines, weight machines, and group exercise classes. If I want to, I can find a branch just about any direction my errands take me. 

In October the branch I use most frequently started a renovation process. Each day I went in it was interesting to see what had changed. Two portable restroom trailers (one for men and one for women) were set up outside the back door to replace the now non-existent locker rooms. The Cardio Theater room was closed, and then encased behind sheets of plastic. The Spinning room went dark.

Shortly before Thanksgiving I received a message that the location was going to temporarily close so they could complete the work in a more timely fashion. There was a promise it would be open again at the first of the year. We could have put a freeze on our account, but instead we went to other branches sporadically, then left town for the holidays. We got back home one week into the new year, but the location was still closed. When I looked into the issue I learned the reopening date was now mid-February. 

Last week Tony and I went out to dinner with some friends and learned they were getting ready to join the YMCA. At that point changing gyms hadn't even occurred to me, but the more Tony and I talked about it the more sense it made. I had fond memories of a Y family membership we had years ago, but at our old house the closest location wasn't particularly convenient. However, at our new house there is a branch just three miles away. Earlier this week Tony and I toured the facility, then decided to join. 

I've now gone a couple of times-once for a group exercise class, and once to use the aerobic and weight machines. Both experiences were positive. I'm looking forward to taking advantage of the aquatic classes and doing some water walking in the pool.

The Y membership is month to month. The auto payment for our current gym won't happen for a couple of weeks, so we have a little time to decide which place works best for us.

10 comments:

  1. The Y here is really expensive. I had hoped they had a salt water pool because of my chlorine allergy but no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because of Tony's age we were able to get a special price. Although it will cost more than our old gym, the extra amenities will make up for it.

      Delete
  2. Doesn't your healthcare have SilverSneakers or Renew Active? Both will get you into the YMCA for free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not old enough for any plan that covers Silver Sneakers :-)

      Delete
    2. I would have thought that all health plans these days would have gym memberships of some kind. I guess not. 😔

      Delete
    3. After I read your last comment I wondered if things had changed with our health insurance plan. I checked out the website and found out there's a third-party company we can buy into that has a bunch of participating gyms. Most of them aren't in the St. Louis area. The third-party plan costs just a few dollars less than our Y membership. We won't be changing anytime soon :-)

      Delete
  3. Keeping fit is good ... and tiring.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We tried to end our gym membership but they convinced us our monthly rate is a deal since we joined long ago. They put a freeze on our payments till April so we can decide then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were in the same position with our old gym's grandfathered membership rates. Good luck making your decision.

      Delete