Sunday, October 2, 2016

Want Some Carbs With Those Carbs?

Hubby Tony and I were part of the planning team for a retreat that took place this weekend in Illinois, just on the other side of the Mississippi River.  The retreat program and subsequent cleanup was done a little before noon.  As we drove away I asked Tony if he wanted to stop for lunch at a good Chinese carry-out place we've discovered, which is located in a strip mall just down the road from the retreat center.  He agreed.

In my experience, Chinese carry-out places always have a lunch special, consisting of a smaller portion of an entree and usually includes some type of appetizer and/or soup.  This one was no different.  Their lunch selection was larger than some I've seen, consisting of about three dozen items.  The menu stated that each meal came with white or fried rice and either an egg roll, Crab Rangoon, or a bowl of soup.

Tony ordered Sauteed Mixed Vegetables. The woman taking his order asked him about the accompaniments and he said he wanted white rice and hot and sour soup. I asked for Beef Lo Mein and the same soup.  We picked out a table in the dining area and waited for the food to arrive. 

When the waitress set the container of Lo Mein in front of me, I was impressed at the amount of noodles it contained.  I dug into it with my fork, and was surprised to find out that the healthy serving of noodles were actually served on top of a bed of fried rice (as the menu promised)!

I finished the soup, ate half of the starchy food, and put a lid on the rest to bring it home.

14 comments:

  1. Darn...now you've gotten me hungry!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh... No more carbs for me. I do love noodles though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm more of a rice girl (especially if the restaurant has brown rice available), but every once in a while noodles are a nice change of pace.

      Delete
  3. and you were hungry an hour later, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As it turns out, I was. However, I attributed that more to the fact I'd been noshing my way through the weekend and my stomach was telling me it was ready for another snack.

      Delete
  4. We always take home what we can't finish and we actually do eat it after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to adding some vegetables to my leftovers for lunch today.

      Delete
  5. Did you go home and take a nap too? That stuff tastes so good but then I feel awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The entire weekend was an orgy of rich, sugary food that I don't normally eat. My body rebelled. Today I'm back on the healthy food wagon.

      Delete
  6. Reading your above comment, did you get any headaches, bloating or other side effects from the weekend orgy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No headaches or allergy-type symptoms. Just a general feeling of ugh.

      Delete
  7. I'm right there with you on the healthy wagon again. Back to Primal; about 95% grain and sugar free. It works. I don't know why I venture off it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it easy to eat healthy when I'm around the house. When I go out, not so much.

      Delete