Thursday, October 7, 2021

No Nuking Now

Earlier today dkzody left a comment on my non-fuctioning microwave post, asking if I had been able to get it replaced. Unfortunately, we're making progress, but the project isn't finished yet.

Monday morning Hubby Tony called the Customer Service department and determined that it would not be cost-effective to have a technician come out.

I did an online search and found out they still manufactured the model. Since I liked its style and design and knew it would fit the opening above the stove, I suggested we buy the same thing again. Lowe's had free delivery. Home Depot did not. We headed to Lowe's.

There was only one associate in the appliance department, and he was doing the best he could. We waited 20 minutes for our turn. The store website said we would have to order the microwave, so I was pleasantly surprised when the associate told us he had one in stock. Ten minutes after we started our turn we were the owners of a new microwave.

All that needed to happen was the installation, payed for through Lowe's and done by a third party company. The next day I received a call from the scheduler who offered the option of next Tuesday. I agreed. However, this morning we received another call from the scheduler, saying that our technician had been exposed to Covid and needed to quarantine. Now our installation won't be for another week and a half. 

In the meantime Tony and I are making do. We pulled out the electric kettle to reheat coffee, and I've been cooking more things on the stove. The biggest issue I've found so far is the loss of the light above the stove. The kitchen has ceiling can lights on either side of the stove, but they don't provide enough illumination. 

I thought about buying a cheap puck light to stick underneath the counter, but all I could find at the store were multi-packs. Then I remembered the hands-free headlamp I bought for myself last year to walk in the dark. The band ended up being too small for my head and I never used it. Today I wrapped that too-small band around the cabinet handle and aimed the light towards the stove. The temporary solution is good enough for me.

Five years ago: This Gives New Meaning To The Pose 'Cat And Cow'

19 comments:

  1. What amazing adaptations! (Of course, no microwave can nuke the covid, but better to be protected and wait.) Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciated that the installation company took health into consideration.

      Delete
  2. "payed for through Lowe's"
    Well if the installation is paid for, fine. Otherwise I would have come over and helped Tony install it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know how heavy those things are?!?

      Delete
    2. Tony can hold it up while I screw it in.

      Delete
    3. We'll let the professionals take care of this one :-)

      Delete
  3. Lowes delivered my range too, for nothing. They wouldn't install however since the previous occupant of the space was a slide in. I still have to pull it back out again and get rid of the slide in build up at the bottom and in back. Chest high cooking isn't that easy. I thought it would be. I like your modifications to make do. Making do is an art form learned in long living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you didn't pay for installation, or if you did they refunded your money.

      Delete
  4. Being told about the technician's exposure to Covid, is something to be appreciated. That won't happen here. The technician even appears without a mask, and I have a box of masks on hand, in case someone gets here without this minimum item.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that rescheduling the appointment was a first-class thing to do.

      Delete
  5. Love your light solution along the lines of "necessity is the mother of invention."
    We had our fridge die just as covid got bad. We bought it at one store, which kept pushing delivery back and back again. We finally had to go buy it somewhere else. I ended up being without our upstairs fridge for a month (luckily I have another one in the basement, it was a lot of up and down stairs with a tray but better than having no fridge).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my refrigerator were to go out during these supply chain issue times it better be in the winter so I can store things on my deck :-)

      Delete
  6. It's such a nuisance when appliances go wrong. Modern life!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were fortunate that they had the model in stock. We have friends who waited months for a new dishwasher to arrive. My cafe/bakery person is waiting for parts for her home clothes dryer and using the laundermat until they arrive. Just talked with our painter yesterday. He said paint is hard to come by right now but he might have time to do painting for us as he awaits doors for a really big construction job he is working on. The supply chain is in terrible shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard enough stories on the radio to know to be THRILLED to be able to purchase an in-stock microwave.

      Delete
  8. We get so used to having certain appliances. I'm glad you were able to get one even though you have to wait a bit to have it installed. Great idea to use the head lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you are back in business soon with that microwave. I know I would miss ours.

    ReplyDelete