Wednesday, May 19, 2021

What Would You Have Done?

This morning Hubby Tony and I met with our financial advisor for a post-retirement check in. The advisor used to have an office not too far from us, but she lives in St. Charles County 30 minutes to the west of us and started working out of a location closer to her house. Last year all our meetings were on Zoom, and we had that option again this time, but since our schedule is flexible we decided it would be an adventure to head that way.

An adventure it was. We left the house early and drove to a trailhead for a greenway which was tucked inside a research park just past the Missouri River. We parked in an office building lot and walked for 20 minutes, then backtracked to the car. The scenery quickly changed from manicured lawns to nature area to forest. There were only a few other people on the trail.

After our walk we continued to the advisor's office. At the end of the meeting I asked her if she could recommend a place for lunch. She suggested a steakhouse that was one of her favorites. 

The restaurant wasn't busy and we only had to wait a couple of minutes for a table. There was a nice selection of lunch specials on the  menu. I ordered a Pick Two, choosing half of a French Dip and a house salad. (Tony went with a bowl of chili and a house salad.)

The salad came out first...a large bowl of fresh lettuce topped with tomatoes, cucumber, cheese, and croutons. When the entree arrived I was surprised to find out I had received a whole sandwich. I pointed out the mistake to the food runner, who said she would relay my concern to the waitress.

While I was waiting I moved half of the sandwich to my salad bowl and started eating. It was a wonderful combination of fresh baguette, thinly-sliced beef, and melted cheese. The small bowl of au jus was flavorful and hot.

When the waitress returned I pointed out the mistake. She apologized and said she would adjust the bill. I finished the half portion of sandwich, and Tony asked what I was going to do. I told him I wasn't sure. I knew if I didn't eat the rest it would just get tossed, but it also didn't feel right to consume something I wouldn't be paying for, like I was trying to scam the system.

In the end I was still hungry so I cut off and ate, two inches of the extra sandwich. That was just enough, and I left the restaurant comfortably full.

Five years ago today: Outlet Treasure Hunting

9 comments:

  1. They can't take food back. It would get thrown out. You ordered 1/2 a sandwich. That's all you should pay for and the other half is a bonus you get to keep. Especially if she left it there after she knew about the mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about how since the waitress didn't take the extra food away it was 'mine'.

      Delete
  2. The whole sandwich is yours, I think.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have had you with me at the time.

      Delete
  3. That food sounds delicious! Haven't been out to eat for so long. Tricky but a good decision on your part I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm surprised the wait person didn't advise you to take it, as it would be thrown away. I've had that happen with a mistaken order.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you didn't let it go to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No issue... the other half is yours. The mistake was entirely theirs and would be thrown out just like all 'leftover' food on a plate. The waitress was in error not making sure this was 'mentioned'.

    ReplyDelete