Sunday, May 2, 2021

Ancestral Mathematics

In order to be born, you needed: 

2 parents 
4 grandparents 
8 great-grandparents
16 second great-grandparents 
32 third great-grandparents 
64 fourth great-grandparents 
128 fifth great-grandparents 
256 sixth great-grandparents 
512 seventh great-grandparents 
1,024 eighth great-grandparents 
2,048 ninth great-grandparents 
 
For you to be here today, from the 12 previous generations you needed a total sum of 4,094 ancestors over the last 400 years.

Think about that for a moment. How many struggles, battles, and difficulties did your ancestors undergo for you to exist in this present moment? How much sadness? How many love stories? How many expressions of hope for the future?

~~Borrowed from the Internet. Author Unknown.~~

Five years ago: Don't Fall For It!

21 comments:

  1. Thanks to the German tendencies to keep records over the years I discovered through ancestry.com that my 14th great grandfather was a saint... not that this made me any better than I was when I didn't know this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except in Kentucky where it 2, 2, 2, 2,...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phew, that's a lot of genes in the pool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I thought so, too. Amazing how the power of doubling adds up.

      Delete
  5. Wow. My sister was an ancestry lover. She spent endless hours hunting relatives, but she didn't always like what she found! So good to meet you last week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think every generation has someone who is a genealogist.

      It was good to meet you, too!

      Delete
  6. That'a a hoot, as I am illegitimate. I was a one-night stand and adopted out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found this...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnYSMhR3jCI&ab_channel=It%27sOkayToBeSmart

    ReplyDelete
  8. And some people even have records that far back. But mostly we don't.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That is a lot of ancestors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've been doing a family genealogy (I've even written a few blog posts about it) and I've even "met" (via zoom), family members I didn't know about. It's fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lot of soap operas, triumphs, hook ups, love stories, tragedies...and now there's us, to continue the human drama.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing ... and this is before they invented the calculator.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete