Monday, May 31, 2021

Honoring Those Who Gave Their All

In the United States today was Memorial Day, set aside to commemorate those who died in active military service. Last year all the observances were virtual, and this year, even with things opening up, there weren't as many events as in years past. However, Hubby Tony did some research and found out that the Soldiers Memorial Military Museum was having a ceremony in the morning and tours throughout the day. 

The Soldiers Memorial building was built downtown after World War I to honor St. Louisians killed in the line of duty, and over the years has expanded to honor those killed in all wars. Traffic was light, it was easy to find a parking space on the street, and because it was a holiday we didn't have to feed the meter. We arrived at the Memorial with five minutes to spare. While we waited I watched the American Legion members on the dais get organized.

The program started with a wreath-laying ceremony. Legion members walked to the appropriate section of the Court of Honor (across a closed-off street to the south of the building) to a place a wreath at the memorial tablet contained the names of those killed in the Persian Gulf and Afghanistan, Viet Nam, Korea, World War II, and the American Legion Founding Commemorative Monument across the street. (In addition to the wreaths, anyone who was interested could pick up a flower to lay on the various memorials from a tent located off to the side.)

The second part of the program consisted of the reading of names of all those who died in the First World War. Tony and I decided not to stay for that. Even though the temperature was pleasant, the sun was hot and I was afraid I was getting sunburned. 

As we were leaving through the Court of Honor, a reporter for one of the local TV stations asked us if we would consider being interviewed on camera. We agreed. He clipped a small microphone to my shirt and handed me the battery portion to hold. Once everything was set up he asked us to explain why we had come to the ceremony. I tried to put my thoughts into words but I don't think I did a very good job. (Tony told me he was also unhappy with what he said.) 

Based on what the reporter told us we may make the evening news, but I think it's more likely we'll end up on the cutting room floor.

13 comments:

  1. That's an honor, to be on the news, with why you went to a service today. I don't know if we had anything here or not. Another home day for me. There is one young man I remember every year or more though his parents, captured and killed in Iraq. The fanatic who killed him bragged about how he had butchered him after they captured him. He was just a young man, a kid from a farm in eastern Oregon. But he was no kid, he was a man, a soldier. They don't send kids off to kill and be killed, right? I can't not think about him every year and about his parents and how in the world did they survive all that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How awful that you personally know of someone who was killed in war.

      Delete
    2. I don't know him. But the news covered his story back during that Iraq war, especially Oregon news, and the story haunted me and still does.

      Delete
  2. AND what station was it? If it was 5, you didn't make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Nope, someone else got the coveted interview spot.

      Delete
  4. What an honorable event to attend, and an honor to be interviewed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you weren't prepared, the answers will not be great. Still, you were brave enough to agree to be interviewed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with both of your statements. Thank you.

      Delete