Monday, May 24, 2021

A Zoo Adventure

Today Hubby Tony and I had the opportunity to visit the St. Louis Zoo-our first time in years.

The Zoo (and several other cultural institutions) are tax-supported by residents of St. Louis City and St. Louis County. It's free to get in, but selected parts have a fee. We did it up and purchased Adventure Passes, using them to ride the Zooline Railroad, see the Sea Lion Show, and even take a ride on the Conservation Carousel. Based on what I had read on the website I expected the food service options to be limited, but Tony and I were able to have a nice cafeteria-style lunch.

The huge park is divided into six sections. Counting our Adventure Pass activities we did something in all of them. 

  • In The Wild I enjoyed walking through the Penguin and Puffin Coast, but the temperature in the building is arctic and by the time I reached the end I was freezing. 
  • We wandered through the Historic Hill area, including the 1904 World's Fair bird cage, which now holds the Cypress Swamp with birds you would find in cypress swamps along the Mississippi River. 
  • I enjoyed the antics of the kangaroos and antelopes in the Red Rocks section.
  • The River's Edge has enclosures for animals from Africa, South America, and North America. This was the last section we visited and it was getting hot, but the area was cool and shady.

I had a lot of fun, but at the end of the day I was tired, hot, and sweaty. And glad that our car was parked close by.

Five years ago today: Fight For Your Right To Be Fee Free

11 comments:

  1. And for those interested...
    https://www.stlzoo.org/
    https://www.stlzoo.org/files/2216/1953/1978/map_and_layout_spring-2021.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brings back such great memories. My friends and I would meet up at the zoo regularly with our little ones in strollers. I haven't been there since the boys grew up, I need to go back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did that, too. And then when the boys were older and had half days there was a group that would meet up at the zoo or science center.

      Delete
  3. I haven't been to a zoo in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been to a zoo since my kids were little and I have been wanting to visit the zoo. They have this camp out at the zoo, in Sacramento that I would love to do. You get to hear all the wild animals at night. But I'd be the only one without little kids. No grands for me yet, if ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'd be brave enough to attend a sleepover without a young person, but there were plenty of adults-only groups (and singles) there yesterday.

      Delete
  5. I visited the St. Louis Zoo as a child. I was 8. My brothers, 3 and 5, were lost. Quite an adventure. And they knew where they were, they informed my mother, who found them back watching the elephant show again.

    ReplyDelete