Monday, December 14, 2020

Free License

If you've been reading here for even a little while you've probably noticed that I like to sprinkle photos, graphics, and clip arts through my posts. Sometimes they're mine, and sometimes I find something on the internet. However, I want to do the right thing and only use items that aren't copyrighted. Sometimes it takes a lot of clicking through to different websites to find something, but I just learned about an easier way to do it.

The first step is to do a Google Search for the thing you're looking for. Navigate to the Images tab at the top of the page. Look a couple of tabs to the right, and click on the Tools tab. Five options will pop up. Choose Usage Rights, then select the Creative Commons licenses option. 

What is Creative Commons? Wikipedia says:

 A Creative Commons license is one of several public copyright licenses that enable the free distribution of an otherwise copyrighted "work". A CC license is used when an author wants to give other people the right to share, use, and build upon a work that they (the author) have created.

Once you find the perfect image from the filtered list, there's one more step. Click on the image and it will pop up on the right side of the screen. Below the name of the website it came from is a License details link. Sometimes there are no restrictions for using the item. Sometimes the creator wants to be credited, or credited in a certain way. Since they've done all the work, I figure it's the least I can do.

Five years ago today: A Windy December Day

8 comments:

  1. It's absolutely the fair way to do it. My granddaughter taught me that trick! sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you, to have a granddaughter that knows things like that.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know these things, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Kathy!! Because of my previous work (web development and graphics design) and my genealogy/family history and writing, I took short courses in copyright, trademark, licensing, etc., so learned many ways to find images when needed that I still use to this day. But I prefer to make or take my own when I can because it's lots more fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS fun to come up unique images, but sometimes life gets in the way.

      Delete