Tuesday, November 12, 2019

The Installation Is Free

The process of selling our house inches along. One of our requirements was to have a municipal safety inspection. The city sent two employees from the Code Enforcement office who checked all three levels of the house, then gave me a short list of items that needed to be fixed before the new owners can take possession.

One of the things I learned was that even though we have a hard-wired smoke detector system in the house, the current code states that we also need to have a unit inside each bedroom. The next day I went to the hardware store and bought four battery operated models, then came home, fired up the computer, and researched exactly where on the bedroom ceiling they should go. Surprisingly, I couldn't find a clear answer.

However, during my surfing I came across the website of our local fire department, which indicated they would come out and install the smoke detectors for no charge.That sounded too good to be true, but I called the station and talked with the Public Relations department, which assured me their offer had no strings attached. The only possible hitch would be that if the crew got an emergency call it would take priority. That sounded reasonable, so I made an appointment for them to come out.

On the appointed day I was in the kitchen when I heard a loud diesel engine idling out on the street, and realized there was a fire truck in front of the house. However, as soon as I saw it the truck drove away, turning on its flashing lights as it left the street. It was back ten minutes later, and I watched as a crew of three firefighters got out and walked up to the front porch. One was carrying a portable ladder and another had a cordless drill.

When they got inside I gave them the detectors I had purchased and showed them were the bedrooms were. It took them ten minutes to install the four alarms. The job would have taken me hours.

Five years ago today: Errands And Evaluations

18 comments:

  1. Three firefighters, wow. That's impressive service, but .... Were they cute?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking they sent an entire crew in case they had to leave for an actual fire. Nice looking, but not poster boys. :-)

      Delete
    2. Or they were just wanting out of the station! When I worked at an EMS station getting out was a THING!

      Delete
  2. Hi Kathy - well done is all I can say ... and wonderful to have that sorted ... snail's pace is better than nothing! Good luck - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Never thought of calling the fire department to take care of this task. We had to upgrade our smoke alarms when we put on a new roof. New codes and such...Terry was told by the code inspector where to place them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love that! Good you got that help and they did it so fast! I bet they install a lot of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they do it all the time I'm sure they have their system for installation down pat.

      Delete
  5. Gotta love those fire departments. Mine are installed just inside the bedroom door.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good thing you found that out before you went to the trouble of trying to do it yourself. What a great service, and it makes so much sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was THRILLED to pass the work off to someone else!

      Delete
  7. I agree with you, "FREE" does sound too good to be true. Glad you were able to get it done in a timely manner and "For FREE".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here in Hawaii, the Red Cross came out and did that for us, too. It was awesome!

    ReplyDelete