Wednesday, May 15, 2019

My Warm Weather Treat

Last weekend it was furnace weather, but things bounced back and then some. For the next few days the highs will be in the upper 80s. It's time for my favorite summer snack, frozen watermelon.

I like conventional watermelon, too, but during the summer I actually prefer the frozen type. And the preparation couldn't be easier. Remove the rind from a seedless watermelon, then chop the fruit into cubes, spread them on a  baking sheet,  put the sheet into the freezer until the pieces flash freeze, and transfer them to a bag for storage.

The sweetness and texture of the frozen watermelon fools my stomach into thinking it's having a bowl of ice cream. The trick is to not let it thaw all the way, or it will be mushy. I think it tastes best after it has set out for about five minutes-just enough to soften a bit so it's easy to bite into.


Five years ago today: Sign The Flag

11 comments:

  1. Where are you getting watermelon in May??!! They are just forming here, in the westside fields. Even the borderland fields, down around the Mexican border are a month or more from harvest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did feel early for watermelon, but they've had them in Aldi, Fresh Thyme, and the Oriental market. I can't speak for the all of them, of course, but the one I got is perfectly sweet and juicy.

      Delete
    2. I was at Whole Foods this morning, and by golly, they had crates of watermelons from Mexico. I would guess it's far south Mexico.

      Delete
  2. That sounds good, I'll have to try that one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cousin and I used to make watermelon juice when we were kids. Here in Houston, we have a lot of tapioca tea places. The one I go to sells watermelon juice with grape tapiocas. It’s amazing

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds good. Even though I have to cartons of ice cream in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you do! You need it to put on top of your pie and cake :-)

      Delete