Saturday, May 11, 2019

Blackberry Winter

At this time of year, the average high temperature for my area is 75 °F (and the average low is 56°). On Wednesday it got up to 82°, so I opened up windows, put on a pair of shorts, took the flannel sheets off the bed and replaced them with the warm-weather percale set, washed and stored the winter coats, and stashed the cold-weather shoes in the back of the closet.

Since Wednesday things have gone downhill. Today the high temperature was 50°! I closed up the house, found some heavy clothes to wear, and dug a pair of leather shoes out again. Tonight it's supposed to dip down to the mid-40s. As much as it kills me to do it, I broke down and turned the furnace on again.

However, I guess this cold snap isn't completely unprecedented. According to The Old Farmer's Almanac, we're in a blackberry winter, a term used to describe a brief period of cold weather that coincides with the time the blackberries are in bloom. It typically happens in early to mid May.

And at least one person actually predicted the weather. Dave Murray was a local TV meteorologist for many years. Although he's now retired from that job, he maintains an active Facebook page. Yesterday he posted:
Looking back at my Spring forecast issued in February:
"*** That brings us to the blackberry Winter around the 9,10,11 and 12th of May… I rarely turn my back on this feature in the atmosphere. It is a cold run of weather...and I will not turn my back on it this year...but let’s think more of a cool snap rather than a cold snap during this period."
Dave would have completely nailed it if he had added one day to his snap. According to my phone app, things will be back to normal by Tuesday the 14th. I hope that's right.

Five years ago today: Saturday Morning Bike Ride

9 comments:

  1. I am weary of this chilly weather, as I am filling the pool to be ready for Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly doesn't feel like it now, but Memorial Day will be here before we know it.

      Delete
  2. Your weather sounds like a typical Houston day. We go from HOT to COLD and back again...all within the space of a couple of hours. I (and many others) find it hard to know how to dress for the day. Tank tops? Sweatshirts? Warm-up pants? Shorts? What, what, what?

    Nice post, I enjoyed reading it.

    Wishing you a Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hate the days when you have to change clothes three times, because it's cool in the morning and evening but too warm in the middle of the day.

      Delete
  3. We will be in high 80s for a few days and then a "cold" snap of 70 on Thursday. I've been wearing summer pajamas now for a couple of weeks as the heater has not come on for awhile. We may need to shift to AC today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take him a blackberry cobbler for being correct!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has been going on all over the place (seasons changing daily). Since I didn’t grow up in Texas, I assumed it was a Texas thing, but no. Nowadays, it’s an everywhere thing.

    ReplyDelete