Saturday, January 3, 2015

Gimme A Cup

A couple of months ago I noticed the coffee mug I was drinking out of had an unattractive brown film on the inside.  A quick scrub of baking soda took care of the stain, but then I started thinking about how long I've had the mug.  That led to a general inventory of all the mugs. 

What I figured out was pretty amazing.  Several of the mugs came from events at Son Tony's high school....and this year he had his ten-year reunion!  Others had logos from companies Hubby Tony used to work at, or events he'd done in the distant past.  I decided to put new Fiestaware mugs on my Christmas list; they'd coordinate with the Fiesta plates and bowls I was gifted with several years ago.  If I was lucky I could kiss all the old mugs goodbye.

On Christmas Day I was thrilled to receive eight mugs, each a different color.  (None of them match the plates and bowls, which is the look I was going for.)  When I took the Christmas coffeeware out of the cabinet last night I replaced them with the new versions.  I kept three nice-looking newer mugs, and put the others in the donation pile.

Aren't they pretty?

Five years ago today: The Ninth Day of Christmas

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful! During the kitchen reno I got rid of all of our old and tired mugs, too.

    Love your fiesta ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out with the old, in with the new (both outside AND inside the cabinets)!

      Delete
  2. I love these new mugs, they look like they actually hold a decent amount of coffee, unlike the ones which come with the plate sets I buy. I keep those ones for company and use my huge Grandmother mug. I love the colors of these as well, so pretty!

    Wishing you a very Happy New Year Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our dishes came in sets, including the small (6 oz) cups, which rarely get used. The new ones are just the right size.

      Delete
  3. Fiesta gradually edged out the dinnerware in my sister's kitchen. Except the eclectic mug collection. You have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do upgrade, hope you'll show pictures!

      Delete
  4. Lovely, are you sure they won't match those plates? I had a look, and it doesn't seem too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to eventually have an eclectic collection of colors. As things break, I'll replace them with hues I don't have. The cups are a nice start.

      Delete
  5. I've always liked the idea of Fiestaware in different colors. Your table would look like a rainbow. I love the different colored mugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love mugs, cups, glasses, plates, bowls, oh heavens, I fancy it all. Enjoy your new collection and have a Yummy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your new mugs are great!! Each time we've moved I have tried to pare down my collection but the problem is that so many of the mugs have some sort of sentimental value and I can't possible part with them! Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older I get the more sentiment means to me, but I'm trying to keep things that don't take up much room.

      Delete
  8. I gave away all the teacup size cups that came with our dinnerware since we tend to use mugs, no matter what. I do have a set of footed white mugs from the 70s that I use for nicer occasions. Your cups are so colorful. They'll help you wake up each morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep thinking I'll find a use for the small cups, so I'm reluctant to get rid of them.

      Delete