Friday, February 14, 2014

The Random Acts Of Kindness Adventure #2

Today I'm linking up with Betsy for The Random Acts Of Kindness Adventure.
 
When my boys were in elementary school they always had Valentine's Day parties in their classrooms, complete with card exchanges.  Each year at the beginning of February I'd take them to the store, where they'd pick out a box of inexpensive cards featuring some cultural reference they and their friends were into.

There were always more cards in the box than they needed, and I'd tuck them away.  A couple of weeks ago when I was wrapping a present I found a stash of the school valentine-exchange cards in the wrapping paper organizer.  Although some of them were from long-cancelled and forgotten TV shows, many of them were still in fashion.  There  were cards featuring the Flinstones, Lion King, Looney Tunes, and Mickey Mouse.  

I grabbed a handful of the cards, put them into envelopes, and took them with me when I ran errands today.  At each of the stores I gave a Valentine to the cashier (and at one store a couple of people I walked by in the parking lot).  All of them looked surprised to receive a card from a stranger. 

I purposely didn't sign my name on the back; if any of my 'valentines' want to re-gift the card to someone else I think that would only increase the pool of random acts of kindness.

Five years ago today: Valentine's Groaners

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this! How very fun to give out those Valentines! That was a really great idea...and you cleaned out your wrapping drawer at the same time. :) I especially love that you handed them to strangers in the parking lot...they will never forget that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It WAS a lot of fun! I was apprehensive at first, but it got easier each time.

      Delete
  2. Oh that is just a perfect RAK... I just know you spread a lot of happiness today. Isn't this game fun? I must remember that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been having a lot of fun, thanks to Betsy :-)

      Delete
  3. What a great idea! You brought cheer to those people and took care of stuff at home too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! I really need to get in on this random acts of kindness stuff! I've been the recipient of a few of those and need to pay it forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS fun to do something nice with no expectation of a return act.

      Delete