Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Just Me

My birthday was a little over a month ago. About a week before the day I started getting offers for free food and merchandise from restaurants and stores.  I've used many of them, but there was one left (for a local Italian restaurant).  It about to expire, so I decided to treat myself to a nice dinner out last night.  Hubby Tony had a meeting to go to, but I didn't need a date. I went by myself.

At the hostess stand I announced "it's just me tonight", and she led me to a booth against the wall.  The waiter came promptly and took my order for a house salad and small pizza.  He came right back with bread and a small plate of seasoned olive oil, then brought the salad out a couple of minutes later.  I always enjoy the classic St. Louis Italian combination of iceberg and romaine lettuce mixed with cheese, red onion, and pimiento, tossed with sweet Italian dressing.

There were only a couple of other tables in use, so not much people watching to be done.  In between courses I pulled my Kindle out of my purse and read. 

After the bread and salad I was getting full, but when the waiter brought the main course I was immediately ready for more food.  The pizza was hand tossed and topped with just enough sauce, sausage, mushrooms, and a mixture of mozzarella and Provel cheese.  I immediately asked for a to-go container so I wouldn't be tempted to eat the whole thing.  When half the pizza was gone I boxed up the rest to take home.  For just me.

Five years ago today: Pour Some Sugar On Me

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great time. I hope you enjoyed the pizza at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eating out alone has always intimidated me. Don't know why .......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard the first time I did it, but when I bring something to read it's not uncomfortable at all

      Delete
  3. I'm fine eating alone at the mall, but it's been awhile since I went to a restaurant alone. Great that you could use your coupon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only gone to a nice restaurant a couple of times by myself. It gets easier every time.

      Delete
  4. Love that you did this on your own Kathy. I was in Montreal last summer and eating with my daughter and two friends at a lovely restaurant. A woman came in and sat down at the next table. She ordered wine and it was soon evident that she was by herself. I kept sneaking peaks at her throughout the night and she was having such a good time by herself. She had a magazine with her and she lingered over her meal. On the way out I wished her a good evening and she just beamed. Imagine my delight when I saw her the next morning on a bike buying bread at an outside farmer's market.
    As for me - lately I've been eating alone in other cities. Have yet to do it in my own. I'll give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO try it! I suspect you know where all the good restaurants are...

      Delete
  5. It takes courage to eat out alone. I know people who simply can't do it. I myself am accustomed to it, and sometimes prefer it so I can sit quietly and people watch, but still there are many times when I'll order take out instead -- especially when it's dinner which, after all these years, I still have a problem doing alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eating by yourself IS a great way to people watch. Some of the best entertainment there is.

      Delete
  6. I love it that you can enjoy the night out by yourself. The dinner sounded fabulous and you have left overs to enjoy too! YUM!

    ReplyDelete