I started hunting in the thrift shops for decorative pillows to recover. It took me a couple of weeks to find what I was looking for, but I finally hit the jackpot; two perfectly new pillow forms. My find was a win all around. Since they were just forms with no "pretty" cover they cost less, and because the form was covered with a cheap poly/cotton material, I didn't have to worry about any background colors bleeding though.
I made my covers from part of a vintage white cotton sheet I found last time I cleaned out the linen closet. The old material was sturdy, and soft from years of use. Since I'd cut the original king-sized cover down to fit my full-sized bed there were scraps of leftover material, which I used to cut strips. I folded in the raw edges and formed the finished strips into squares, which I sewed onto the pillows like a frame.
I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out.
|Jackson had to get in on the action|
You should be happy. It all looks very nice, even the kitty.ReplyDelete
Thanks...and Jackson thanks you too :-)Delete
looks lovely, wish I sewed like you!ReplyDelete
I'm by no means a great sewer, but I've managed to hang onto the basics from my junior high school Home Ec classes.Delete
Very nice, very cottagy feel.ReplyDelete
THAT'S the adjective I was looking for! Thanks for supplying it for me.Delete
Good job! I never throw anything away and always feel noble when I find a use for scraps!ReplyDelete
My pile of material is getting too big; I either need to find more projects to do or get rid of some of it!Delete
Oh my goodness! You are so talented! They are absolutely perfect and look like they came with the set.ReplyDelete
Thanks for the kind words. When you look up close you can see a couple of imperfections, but I think (as Joanne says) that makes them look "cottage-y".Delete
Very pretty! And the soft, light colors are perfect for summer, too!ReplyDelete
Very clever use of excess fabric!ReplyDelete