Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Different Is Good

Ugh!  I hate mid-February.  Winter has completely outstayed its welcome.  I haven't seen the sun for days, and it's too cold to spend any time outside.  I'm in a complete rut, and need something to shake things up.

My boredom is even extending to my eating habits. This morning when I came downstairs and started to think about breakfast,  I surveyed the pantry: muffins, oatmeal, toast, or cereal.   The same choices I've had every day this week. (YAWN!).  Then I opened the refrigerator and saw the big bowl of Tuscan Bean and Kale soup from last night's dinner.  Would it be completely crazy if I had some for breakfast?

I spooned out a bowl, heated it in the microwave, then squeezed in hot sauce.  I microwaved some bread and poured a cup of coffee, then ate while I read the newspaper comics.

Afterwards I felt great. The weird meal was enough to change my attitude for the whole day.  Work was wonderful.  The gloom didn't get to me, and I was able to smile at the dusting of snow that fell during the afternoon.  It was still bone-chillingly cold, but I enjoyed my after work errands.  When I got home I was able to complete several projects and cross them off my list.

Tonight, since I'd already eaten dinner once, I decided to serve breakfast at the evening meal.  I fried eggs, heated waffles in the toaster, and mixed together some yogurt sauce to serve on top of blueberries.  Why not?

4 comments:

  1. Good for you Kathy! Different is good. Pizza is wonderful for breakfast, heating it up is optional - takes me back to my high school and college days. We love having pancakes and eggs for breakfast as well! :)

    So glad you found a way to perk yourself up. I really don't like the month of February either. Thank goodness it's the shortest month because I can't wait for it to be over either!

    Mandy

    www.mandylifeafter30.com
    www.learn-laugh-cook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a ton of fun. I'd love to do it except I think my mother wouldn't go for it. Hmmm... it still sounds like something I'd like to try just to be different. Why not?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally relate to this post! February has a way of making a person crazy ; )

    ReplyDelete