Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Beany

The preschool I work at is trying to get away from processed foods at snack time.  Instead, we're being encouraged to serve healthy and "whole" foods.  That's a great concept, but most of the students in my class are two years old, and some of them haven't been exposed to a wide variety of food.  We have some reliable snacks- pretzels and animal crackers are always a hit, along with some types of fruit (bananas, apple slices, raisins, and dried cranberries are popular with most of the children).  Other offerings, like rice cakes, baby carrots and dip, edamame, dried apricots, and cheese have been met with various levels of non-acceptance. But we keep trying.

With the lead teacher's permission, I've designated myself as the primary snack gatherer. When I came across a recipe for Roasted Chickpeas the other day, I wondered if it might work, or if the size and shape of the beans would make it too dangerous for our children.  I made a batch last night and took it to work today, where it was deemed not appropriate. That's ok, though, because I got to bring it home to snack on myself!

Her's the recipe if you're looking for a quick, inexpensive, and good snack.  Be careful, though, because they're addictive.

ROASTED CHICKPEAS 

1 can (15-ounce) garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
1 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, optional
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, optional

Preheat oven to 425°F. Toss all ingredients together in a bowl. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until crisp, tossing occasionally, about 40 minutes.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, maybe I could even cook that! ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to copy this and send it over to my daughter who loves chickpeas (I don't) and she can make it for a snack for my granddaughter who loves hot stuff and chickpeas, too. She's only 18 months old, but she has a taste for hot stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter said it sounded good and she was going to replace the garlic powder with cumin.

    ReplyDelete