Saturday, October 10, 2009

Very Vegetal

We may have our first frost of the season tonight. If it doesn't happen this evening, it will soon, so today I picked the last of the tomatoes and peppers and pulled up the plants. (I collected an entire salad bowl of immature grape tomatoes, so I guess I'll be making a large batch of green tomato salsa in the next few days.)

In addition to the pepper and tomato plants, back in the spring I also planted two broccoli plants, which were quickly destroyed. I'm pretty sure the culprit was a rabbit. Although I had hopes they'd re-grow, the plant closest to the front shriveled up and died. I assumed they both had succumbed, but today I saw this hiding under the tangled tomato plants:


I was amazed and delighted. Even though there's nothing to harvest yet, I know that broccoli is a hardy vegetable and it grows best during the cool part of the year. I think my garden is close enough to the house to shield the plant from a light frost; hopefully a broccoli head or two can grow before the first hard frost comes.

I'd like to think I outwitted Bugs Bunny and salvaged some of the produce from his all you can eat buffet.

4 comments:

  1. Very cool. Keep us updated on that broccoli plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SALSA!! Oooo that sound so good. smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pulled my garden out today as well. I have 2 cantaloupes - I'm not sure if they were able to ripen enough (or if they'll ripen now that they're picked), but the plant was dying so I figured they had to be picked.

    I hope your broccoli plant lasts long enough for you to get some broccoli!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salsa! Yummy! Yay for Salvaging that Broccoli from Bugs Bunny!

    ReplyDelete