Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Whole Array

I start my day with readings from several daily meditation books that are stacked on my bedside table. Each reading is only one page long, so the whole process doesn't take long; however, it's time well spent because the messages I receive from the books help me cope with the problems of the day.

After I've showered and dressed, I grab my books, sit on the bed, and find the correct page in each book. I usually read each meditation just once, although I may re-read sections if they're really thought provoking.

The topic of one of today's readings was creativity. Among other things, it said
Creativity is... spiritual energy...a way to replace negative thinking with positive action.
Later on, it emphasized that anything we do can be creative, if we try hard enough to find a new way to do it; for example, eating something different, problem-solving, or creating something from scratch. Those ideas made sense to me. However, the next sentence really made me think...
Creative energy is within us and all around us, whether we are writing a masterpiece or folding the laundry.
Folding the laundry? Creative? As I thought about that (which I guess is creativity), I decided to be creative with the doing of the laundry. Here's my load of laundry, sorted by color:


I tried to arrange it rainbow-style, but wasn't sure where khaki fit into the spectrum. The project, which I did right before I threw the clothes in the washer, only took about thirty seconds, but it DID make this load of laundry more interesting.

1 comment:

  1. I too have several daily meditation books, they help me "keep it in the day". It has been amazing to me the difference they make in my daily life. I seem to have a renewed confidence and calm when I take the time, and very little of either when I do not. I've been at it for a number of years now and cannot seem to find anything that does a better job, well, maybe a few cups of coffee....

    ReplyDelete