Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Zoom

Last night I went to bed with a scratchy throat.  In the middle of the night I woke up with a horrible headache and body aches.  I got up and took some ibuprofen but it didn't do any good; I spent the rest of the night sleeping fitfully and feeling miserable, so I suspected I'd be staying home today.  Sure enough, when the alarm went off I still had all my symptoms, so I crawled out of bed and padded downstairs to notify work.  I felt so cruddy that I forgot to put on my glasses.

(I got my first pair of glasses for nearsightedness when I was in second grade.  I wore them until my teens, then switched over to contact lenses. About a decade ago, some eye problems caused me to go back to glasses. Without correction I'm blind as a bat.)

I wasn't sure if the preschool's office manager checked her phone messages or email first, so I decided to contact her both ways.  That way she could start working on finding a sub as soon as she got in.  Making the call was easy, because I have the school's number in my phone contact list--all I had to do is pull it up and hit "call". Without  glasses I just had to hold the phone really close to my face to see it.  After that was done I sat in front of the computer, opened up the Internet browser, and realized I had a problem.

The screen was nothing but a blur.

Fortunately, I knew what to do.  Holding down the "Control" key and the "+" key, I used the Zoom shortcut to make my browser screen larger.   Without my glasses once wasn't enough, though, so I did it again.  And again.  And again.  After four magnifications, only a third of the webpage was visible, but I could see what I was doing.

I typed my email, sent it, then went back to bed.

5 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the time I woke up with my eyes swollen shut from too much red dye in the food I ate the night before. I had to type my lesson plans and send them all by touch typing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get well soon. I too am not up to par today and missed my first class this semester. I also had a short paper due today, thank goodness for email is all I can say right about now. That was brilliant thinking to enlarge your screen, I can still read without my glasses but it makes more sense when I put them on! ;-) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear! I sure hope you feel better soon, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you're sick!

    I'm nearsighted, too, and zoom to 150% to be able to see before my contacts go in later in the morning. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol Kathy, middle age is no fun. Hope you're feeling better soon, I have the sneezes myself, yuk.

    ReplyDelete