Sunday, June 23, 2024

Egg Alternative

A couple of months ago one of the clergy at the church I cook at discovered he had a mild egg allergy. He can tolerate them when they're a minor ingredient in other foods, but some type of egg dish shows up at just about every Sunday breakfast. I wanted to make sure there was something he could eat, so I did some creative thinking and eventually came up with the idea of making muffin tin baked oatmeal cups. All I had to do was substitute 'flax eggs' (1 T flax seed meal and 2 1/2 T water, soaked together 5 minutes) for the real thing. My inspiration recipe was Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal Cups on Sally's Baking Recipes. It was a hit with everyone. 

Today was my last Sunday cooking shift. The clergyman with the egg issue asked for the recipe, so as I was printing it out for him I decided to share it with you.

Baked Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Cups (makes 12)
 
1 1/2 cups milk (dairy or nondairy)
2 large eggs (or 2 T flax seed meal and 5 T water, soaked together 5 minutes)
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 cups old-fashioned whole rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking powder 
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 heaping cup chopped apple (approximately 1 medium)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously spray muffin pan with nonstick spray.
In large bowl, whisk all ingredients together except for apples (and nuts). Fold in apples and nuts (if using). Spoon batter evenly into muffin cups, making sure both solids and liquids are in each. Fill all the way to the top.
Bake 28-30 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned and skewer comes out clean.
Cool 5-10 minutes before removing from pan.

Five years ago: The Onset Of The Season

22 comments:

  1. Kay of Musings: This sounds delicious! They must love it when it’s your turn to prepare the food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe looks delicious and healthy (from the ingredients).
    I'm sure you'll love it!!
    Have a nice week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have never guessed that flax stuff could substitute for an egg ingredient. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is amazing how many things can substitute for eggs in baking

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't bake really, living alone, but nice to know of these things if I ever have an event to bake something for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipe says it could be frozen, so you could set one or two on the counter the night before to thaw, or quickly microwave in the morning.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I eat a lot of oatmeal, and am always looking for a new way to prepare it.

      Delete
  7. They look good... think I will put Bob to work making some! I copied the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds delicious. Thanks. (Also, thanks for being the type of human who would look for an alternate recipe. Love this.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Flaxseed egg does work in certain recipes, but the texture and flavour are totally different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the information. I've only used the ingredient a handful of times.

      Delete
  10. When you make my batch are you going to bring them over or just mail them to me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this weather they would be nasty by the time the USPS got them to you :-)

      Delete
  11. I have heard about flax seed eggs.. never used them though. Nice of you to tweak the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had only experimented with them once or twice before this.

      Delete