Saturday, June 8, 2024

A Tale Of Two Sales

This morning when I was driving to the gym I saw a sign for a garage sale at a nearby senior living community and decided to stop on the way home. By the time I got to the gym I saw three more signs advertising the event, so I figured it would be a good one.

The community campus was crowded, and it took five minutes to find a place to park. I followed the other people to the resident parking garage underneath the building. The first thing I saw was a bank of cashiers seated at folding tables. The second thing I saw was a sign that listed the forms of payment--cash or checks. 

Knowing there were only a couple of dollars in my wallet, I turned around and walked out. (I stopped carrying a checkbook years ago. For a while I had one emergency check in my wallet, but even gave that up.)

Before I drove home I thought I would try my luck at a different type of sale. One of the members of the local Buy Nothing group was having a Free Market. All of the items were donated by members, and all were free to take. 

This time I found a parking space easily, but it still took five minutes to get there because my easy-to-find space was at the opposite end of the street from the sale. As I walked I saw groups of people coming back to their car carrying things in tote bags and wished I had remembered to grab one from my back seat.

When I got close to the sale the first thing I saw were several popup tents next to the driveway. I made one sweep through the sale and found a Tervis tumbler with a large K on the side, a Pioneer Woman salad plate, and a scarf that will be perfect in the fall. 

By this point I was hungry and needed to pee so I found a wash basin to carry my things and left. It felt strange not to give anyone money for my finds.

A couple of hours later I returned to the sale. Although I scored two shelf brackets that I can use in my closet, this time I mainly concentrated on looking for items that a friend could include in themed baskets she makes for charity auctions. I came away with a couple of vases, some seasonal decorations, a small basket, and some miscellaneous tchokes. My friend will be thrilled

Five years ago: No Hubby, No Go

25 comments:

  1. when we were younger we really enjoyed sales like these. Most everything we needed back then we found at sales, flea markets etc. we always had cash for sales like these, as not really set up for a credit card.
    Glad you found some items a free sale-how fun is that? hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually have $20-$30 in my wallet, but need to go to the ATM and replenish. Now most of my purchases are paid for by a cash-back charge card.

      Delete
  2. That would feel odd, carrying things away without scrabbling for money! It sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was especially exciting the second time, knowing that I could take as much as I wanted to.

      Delete
  3. Can't beat the prices at the second sale!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very beautiful and ecological what is being done.
    Items should be recycled and given a second chance and not thrown away, Something that is useless to someone,
    can make someone else very happy!!
    I like your blog I follow you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katerina, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I agree that every thing has a good use (by someone)

      Delete
  5. I wonder how many of those free items wind up at other sales later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder, too. Given that things didn't cost people probably grabbed 'just in case'.

      Delete
  6. glad you got something eventually dear Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. A free market! That's unusual. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if Buy Nothing is an American concept, but basically it's a Facebook group where people can either post things they are willing to give away or ask for things they need. This sale was that concept on steroids.

      Delete
  8. I NEVER have cash on me. I've been to garage sales where they take venmo and paypal. But checks? I hadn't purchased checks for years until I moved here where I needed them all the time. When we moved here we did the FREE thing and it was great to see people be thrilled with the find and I didn't need to find a place for things I wouldn't use since my house was so much smaller. Win-win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vast majority of our banking is done online. I go to the ATM and take out $40 cash. It lasts me somewhere between three weeks and a month.

      Delete
  9. Very nice of you to think of your friend's needs while at the free sale!
    In my neck of the woods, use of checks has been canceled lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend puts out a call before each of the organization's big events asking for things to put in baskets. Now, the next time she asks I can remind her I've already helped out :-)

      Delete
  10. I once took an elderly couple to an antique auction. Whilst my back was turned they tried to sell them, as ornaments.

    https://timeforreflections.blogspot.com/2018/08/charlie-farthing.html

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would find it very odd to walk away with something and not have had to pay for it. Isn't there even a 'donate if you wish' bucket/saucer/box?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, but as the available items were donated by dozens (hundreds?) of different people it would be impossible to divvy things up.

      Delete
  12. That's a new one for me as well, a free flea market. Nice that you got some things you could use and for your friend as well. I usually only carry a few dollars in my pocket when we go to a flea market. This way, I wont spend much on things I may not need or use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion, having limited funds at an event is always a good idea.

      Delete