Tuesday, June 18, 2024

A Tiny Extravagance

The National Day Calendar says that June 18th is National Splurge Day, which "encourages us to break out the rainy day funds and spend a little".

I tried to think about what that meant for me today. A decadent meal? A new outfit? A pedicure? An outing to a place I've always wanted to go to? Sadly, thanks to my schedule none of them happened. However, when I was at the grocery store I walked by the magazine section and inspiration hit.

I enjoy completing paper-and-pencil word puzzles in the afternoon when I have a cup of coffee and a snack. Back when we got the daily newspaper there was an entire page devoted to puzzles of all types. Four years ago we changed to receiving the paper electronically every day but Sunday (so that meant only one day's worth of paper puzzles). A couple of years ago the paper downsized, and now instead of two Sunday crosswords there are only one.

Our community newspaper includes a crossword puzzle in every issue, so I have two to complete every week. That's usually enough, because on the weekdays I work at the church I don't stop for a break once I get home, but in a little over a week those commitments will drop off the calendar. I looked through the selection of puzzle books and chose one to purchase.

The puzzles in the book aren't as complex as the newspaper ones, and I couldn't believe how much the book cost, but I'm calling it a worthwhile splurge.

Five years ago: Nothing New Under The Fashion Sun

18 comments:

  1. Gee without even knowing about a National splurge day, I bought ice cream for tonight’s dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Kathy! I have been doing crosswordle.com online and really enjoy it -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a crossword puzzle app on my phone, and do those in the evening, but there's something about a paper one that really appeals to me.

      Delete
  3. I did not know it was National Splurge Day. And now it's 8PM. HEY! Amazon is open 24/7! Plenty of time to splurge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would call that a worthy splurge, yes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Modern life requires many decisions every day!
    I think you got the right one to train your brain!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No idea that I had missed National Splurge Day and didn't even know there was such a day. I will try and make up for that oversight in the net few weeks as I plan to upgrade my tablet. Your extravagance, while simpler, is sure to be entertaining as well as challenging and good for brain power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A new tablet sounds like a very nice splurge!

      Delete
  7. It's always lifts your spirits to splurge now and then. Wish that was a reality for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're correct that not everyone can splurge monetarily, but simple things like taking some time for yourself can be splurge-worthy.

      Delete
  8. We say we'll 'treat ourselves' - a splurge by any other name!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I scanned 100 pages of large print WORD SEARCH in Japanese for my mom because she has dementia and forgets what she did anyway. She LOVES Word Search and is incredibly fast with it, even with dementia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet if I went through 100 puzzles and started back at the first one I wouldn't remember much either.

      Delete
  10. I like puzzle books every now and again but you're right: they are expensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe because the publishers know they have an audience that will buy the books no matter what?

      Delete