Monday, February 5, 2024

Chicken In Charge

This afternoon the temperature was in the mid-50s, nice enough to be outside, but on Monday afternoon I prepare dinner for the clergy so I stopped at the grocery store for ingredients and headed to the parish office to cook.

Tonight's meal was tacos (with lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole, cheese, sour cream, and salsa) and refried beans. After preparing the meat I turned to the lettuce, cutting the ribs out of a head of leaf lettuce before slicing it into shreds. Instead of discarding the ribs decided to walk them over to the chickens. I hadn't been to see them for months and wondered how they were doing.

Per the pastor's request last week's Sloppy Joe meal included frozen corn. When I was buying the ingredients I found out that, thanks to shrinkflation, frozen corn had been downsized to 12-ounce bags (four servings, according to the nutritional label). I was feeding six people, and hate to run out of food, so I bought two bags. That turned out to be way too much. I put the leftovers in the refrigerator, and no one had touched it. so I dumped half the kernels into the bowl with the lettuce scraps.

When I neared the coop I could see that all three of the hens were out enjoying the day. I greeted them, then opened the gate and tossed the contents of the bowl in.

The chickens went crazy over the corn kernels. I had heard that flocks have a pecking order, but before today had never seen it in action. However, one of the hens was definitely the Alpha. Although I tried to spread the goodies in a wide area she gobbled up much of the corn, and chased the other two hens away when they tried to move in.

Five years ago today: Has It Been Ten Years Already?

18 comments:

  1. Those corn kernels must be Foodie Gold to the chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting about a pecking order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that pecking order was a real thing for chickies. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next time put corn in all four corners of the pen and see how they handle the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shrinkflation has been a sneaky way of increasing profits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy 'shrinkflation' has gotten out of hand hasn't it? The worst is the same size bag or box yet the insides are no where near the amount it used to be yet we are paying more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is really interesting about the chickens!! The shrinkage of our packages plus the increase of prices has really been hurting the pocketbook. I really don't know how a family of four or six is managing. I'm paying $5,99 for a bag of apples with about 8 apples. For a family with 3 kids it could be gone in two days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes packaged fruit is humongous-large enough to be two or more servings! I try to find more reasonable-sized pieces.

      Delete
  8. I love your chicken story. Although not a fan of live chickens, I am glad there are people taking care of them and giving them treats.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good of you for feeding the chickens! I feed pigeons.
    I'm afraid rising prices and shrinkage of bags signal an upcoming shortage of products. I hope I'm wrong about that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm still stuck on a parish that has a chicken coop. You live in a well developed suburb of a major city. Is this parish way out on the outskirts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several of the municipalities (along with the City of St. Louis and unincorporated St. Louis County) allow for small flocks of chickens. The coop is part of an outdoor classroom and is surrounded by small raised beds for growing vegetables.

      Delete