Thursday, February 8, 2024

Take Out Text

I was sitting on the couch with my laptop tonight, lazily clicking from website to website, when I came across Just the Punctuation. The simple site had a plain white box that included instructions to paste text in it.  Hitting the Submit button at the bottom removed everything but the punctuation.

I had to try it out, so I copied and pasted the United States Declaration of Independence and submitted it. The results were heavy on commas, with a few apostrophes, dashes, and semicolons, and one ampersand thrown in:

 Five years ago: The Dress Was Only The Beginning

8 comments:

  1. OK, that's being pretty bored. Are you sure you weren't an English teacher in a former life? I remember one who hated commas. Interesting though, maybe, perhaps, or just, for, fun. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like English, but I will credit my 1970s shorthand teacher. She really focused on comma use and drilled it into my brain :-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I suspect there's one for just about any topic.

      Delete
  3. Why, I wonder, did someone create that tool?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to one article I saw, it can help figure out what an author's style is.

      Delete
  4. I love punctuation. This is cool.

    ReplyDelete