Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Stickering

Today is my area's April General Election.

St. Louis City has some big issues on the ballot. St. Louis County and the municipality I live in, not so much.  There are just two propositions (one from the municipality and one from the county), both asking voters to pass a tax on recreational marijuana sales. Normally there would also be school board elections, but this year there were just enough candidates for open seats.

As of 1 pm, the St. Louis County Board of Election Commissioners indicated that 9.92% of voters had gone to the poles, and I suspect the final results won't be too much larger than that. Given the paucity of issues thirty year old me probably wouldn't have taken the time to cast a ballot, but sixty year old me did. After a trip to the gym Hubby Tony and I stopped by a polling place that was on the way home. We were the only voters there, and the poll workers looked bored. 

It took me more time to receive a ballot and find a seat than it did to fill it out. After I put the completed ballot in the scanner, the worker invited me to take a sticker. In addition to the standard red/white/blue ones there was a selection of more colorful ones. I picked one of them. I told the worker that I would be throwing my sweaty gym shirt into the laundry as soon as I got home and would save my sticker until I changed. 

After my shower I purposefully chose a shirt that would coordinate with the sticker.

 Five years ago: Eye Drop Adventures

15 comments:

  1. That is a WONDERFUL sticker. I never take the sticker because they look so plain and never change. I would definitely take, and wear, the sticker from your voting place. I might even ask for a couple of extras!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that you're a big fan of 'I Voted' stickers, so your evaluation is extra-special.

      Delete
  2. Those stickers are top notch compared to the ones we get here in Idaho but you are a little more progressive out there. Idaho is going to be one of the last holdouts on legalizing pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised when recreational pot was legalized last year.

      Delete
  3. I've never seen anything besides that standard red, white, and blue stickers. I really like that one, the representation of different people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that more and more places start thinking creatively when it comes to voting stickers.

      Delete
  4. With Claudia's Parkinson's, we do mail in. I almost missed the deadline. Got them requested and sent in in the nick of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we voted absentee back in 2020 they proactively sent us stickers to wear on the day of the election. Do they still do that?

      Delete
    2. They have in the past but not this time.

      Delete
  5. The difference between a 30 year old and a 60 year old you! Nice sticker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when I was young I didn't take my civic duty seriously. Now I do.

      Delete
  6. Much nicer Stickers than we get around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be interesting to see if they continue to hand out creative stickers, or revert back to the standard ones.

      Delete